Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Glaze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Doing a bit of hunting on the shed ornament. Chasing a leak either sump gasket or rear main. I’ve attached a YouTube vid of what I recorded.

Around 40-50secs oil can be seen seeping slowly from sump bolt before the bolts that holds sump to rear main seal plate. Towards the end of the vid, the flywheel cover is seen with oil on surface.

It leaks like a waterfall (car is on ramps). Needs a good clean haven’t got a chance to do it rockers leaking as well.

My guess is sump gasket since oil is seen seeping from area before the rear main seal. Any advice appreciated cheers

VX Calais

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
99% sure that's your seal plate. Mine was leaking but yours looks to be completely buggard.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Just looking at the filth already caked on it's going to be the sump. Chances are your rear main will be in a similar state, easy enough to do while you're there

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I recently had mine done and it was about 10-11hrs labour.

Glaze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
99% sure that's your seal plate. Mine was leaking but yours looks to be completely buggard.
I thought too, did yours leak similar? Would a rear main leak that high from the sump? Cheers

Glaze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Just looking at the filth already caked on it's going to be the sump. Chances are your rear main will be in a similar state, easy enough to do while you're there
Cheers yeah needs TLC been sitting for a while makes sense cos rockers only leaking from rear area

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I thought too, did yours leak similar? Would a rear main leak that high from the sump? Cheers
I can't see a lot from the vid as I'm on my phone but I can see it pouring out at the bottom of the bellhousing. Agree it will be sump leaking as well but the worst of it will be the seal plate. Makes sense to do both at the same time. While you're there might as well replace trans and engine mounts. If they are original, then I'd be pretty confident they too are buggard. If you haven't already replaced it your crank seal will be buggard too. If you have the skill and equipment might be worth pulling the engine out as you likely have three decent leaks at minimum you have two.

Glaze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
I can't see a lot from the vid as I'm on my phone but I can see it pouring out at the bottom of the bellhousing. Agree it will be sump leaking as well but the worst of it will be the seal plate. Makes sense to do both at the same time. While you're there might as well replace trans and engine mounts. If they are original, then I'd be pretty confident they too are buggard. If you haven't already replaced it your crank seal will be buggard too. If you have the skill and equipment might be worth pulling the engine out as you likely have three decent leaks at minimum you have two.
I can pull the engine out, trying to find the easy way out but guess not hahah

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I can pull the engine out, trying to find the easy way out but guess not hahah
You don’t have to pull the engine but allow at least 11hrs if you have done them before. Probably 15hrs if it's your first time. 11hrs is with manual trans might be quicker if auto.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If your crank seal is leaking allow an extra 2hrs. Plus you will need the correct puller specific for an LS and the install tool.