Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Where is it best to disconnect the auto shifter from the gearbox? I’ve attached pics where the rod attaches to the gearbox in 2 places
Cheers

Also when removing torque converter is it okay to rotate the flex plate with a flathead or turn the harmonic balancer? Does the gearbox have to be in neutral when removing from engine?
Thanks
What does the manual say?

Glaze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Found some good info thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: Lex

Glaze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
So managed to remove and refit the gearbox after replacing rear main seal (haven’t ran car since removing gearbox), car still doesn’t have tailshaft and exhaust on so need to finish up… had to remove intake manifold to remove top bellhousing bolt so decided to do those gaskets as well as last repairs before starting the car after being in pieces for a while now. Anyway I started to notice trans fluid leaking around the sump?? Fresh trans oil sits under the engine sump plug and the engine sump is quiet damp with it… could the lines be kinked/damaged? Any other suggestions?

Cheers

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
May not be related but did you replace the converter shaft seal? If not chances are it will leak there once it's all back together and running.

Glaze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
May not be related but did you replace the converter shaft seal? If not chances are it will leak there once it's all back together and running.
No I can’t remember the seal on the TC shaft I’ll have a look next time plus it’s packed with grease so will need to clean it off.

Is the seal just an o-ring?

Weird thing is there was barely a leak before I underwent this job and even ran engine every now and then with no progressive leak, then during rear main seal job noticed more trans fluid appearing around engine sump, the loom going to starter and battery is soaked in it car had not been on since

I even flogged brake cleaner everywhere underneath every time I went under the car over the few weeks to clean and there’s still fresh fluid

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The seal I'm referring to is in the front of the trans.