Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Opel Commodore C

red_vb

i am a she, not a he...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vb
hi there WESURI just letting you know i have a vb early girl you should check out my couple of pis i will be putting a pic of the motor on shortly, but its great to see that yours are still going strong as is mine....

Wesuri

Reaction score
Website
www.opel6070club.com
Members Ride
Opel Commodore+Rekord+Omega
That would be interesting rouge. I have checked some of the rides on the VB/C/H/K corner of these forums, fascinating stuff.

Yes, classics just go stronger and stronger :D. The biggest enemy of the Commodores we have, just like any older (and especially newer) Opel is rust. The frames, skirts and arches are usually very well corroded and welding is needed. Engines (CIH) can tackle heavy loads of kilometers. Lot's of iron with low output is usually a durable solution :p.

Two years ago I still used my -68 Rekord delivery as a daily driver. In poorer conditions it felt a bit primitive (and frightening) and so I bought the Commo for winter use. I still have the Rekord (and three other 60's pieces as projects) waiting for inspiration and evolution. Now I tried to swap my other C-Commo to an older A-model but it seems I may keep it (and buy the A later). Good thing perhaps 'cause I already have some plans for the track with it.

I'd just need to build a huge garage to get all the junk under the same roof :whistling. Now they are scattered and nothing happens...

(btw, the delays on posting to this forum are vvvery annoying)

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
correct me if im wrong but is that a non crossflow head in the 88 opel???

i think id prefer the opel version to the old vn commodore :p

The interior is certainly a cut above the VN, that's for sure.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Wesuri, The local Commodores were 100% pressed here but I wouldn't really believe the spin about the body being stronger. The early Commodores are not a strong car, I can't imagine them being any weaker from Opel. Supension sure, body I doubt it. That would be just some commerical spin to make some sales :).

you never saw the mule from Opel..that broke the chassis rails
in the Flinders ranges during VA Commodore development
nor the problems with the tops of the strut towers splitting open
nor the rear shocker housing coming away from the boot floor

Opel engineers did not believe what GMH engineers reported...until they saw it for themselves
The end result....
The final VB body is far stronger in certain areas than the Opel equivalent ....based on these failures

also generally stronger where it had to be...to carry a V8 engine
and to control a large solid rear Salisbury axle

but of course the Holden engineers didn't fix everything ...the seat mounting problem (cracks in the floor) they missed :whistling

Last edited:

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GMH engineers also had a few other things go wrong on VB

we have brake issues with the then new alloy PBR calipers (like no brakes)
the tie-rods on pwr steering units failing (necessitating a recall)
and the ultimate foul.up

in swapping from LHD to RHD, something had to be reversed
like the HVAC unit! The unit fitted had to be turned over to go
into the RHD Aussie Commodore

the drain hole for the A/C ended up on the TOP of the unit
....oooops
(this was quietly fixed by dealers as ppl complained and brought the cars in with wet floors)

Warranty costs were a tad high on VB compared to HZ ;)

Wesuri

Reaction score
Website
www.opel6070club.com
Members Ride
correct me if im wrong but is that a non crossflow head in the 88 opel???

i think id prefer the opel version to the old vn commodore :p

You are correct. Omega 3000 was offered with three different 6cyl engines. There was the C30LE with 156 hp and C30NE (and 30NE earlier) with 177 hp. These were 12V uniside engines, just like the first CIH 6's from the mid 60's. Then there was a 24V C30SE engine with a crossflow head that had 204 hp.

Later Omega was also offered with (consumption and emission purposes) 2.6 liter uniside with the dual ram air intake known from the C30SE. There was a further homologation series done for the German DTM series, Omega EVO 500 was the result. The german tuning companies (Irmscher, Mantzel anc co.) offered also 3.6 12V and 4.0 24V versions. And then there was of course the Lotus Omega with twin turbos and 377 hp.

These are the top range of Omegas, the basic models had 2.0 ohc engines and rather crappy interiors. Omega also had a 2.4 liter cih4 engine and it has been popular tuning to cut the 24V cih6-head and place it on top of the four to make it a 16V. Exotic but rather expensive as it needs new cams etc. Opel itself raced 16V CIH4 crossflow heads but they are even more exotic and way more expensive. They were used in rallying in Ascona 400 and Manta 400 models. Now the german tuning house Risse offers the engines and parts.

Omega B was another thing, it no longer had straight-6 gasoline engines as they were replaced by V6's (2.5, 3.0 and 3.2). It still had a 2.5 I6 turbodiesel but that one came from BMW. Omega A also had a diesel, 4cyl that used the CIH block. This was also used in previous Rekords in the D, E1 and E2 generations (2.1, 2.3, 2.3TD).

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
You are correct. Omega 3000 was offered with three different 6cyl engines. There was the C30LE with 156 hp and C30NE (and 30NE earlier) with 177 hp. These were 12V uniside engines, just like the first CIH 6's from the mid 60's. Then there was a 24V C30SE engine with a crossflow head that had 204 hp.

Later Omega was also offered with (consumption and emission purposes) 2.6 liter uniside with the dual ram air intake known from the C30SE. There was a further homologation series done for the German DTM series, Omega EVO 500 was the result. The german tuning companies (Irmscher, Mantzel anc co.) offered also 3.6 12V and 4.0 24V versions. And then there was of course the Lotus Omega with twin turbos and 377 hp.

These are the top range of Omegas, the basic models had 2.0 ohc engines and rather crappy interiors. Omega also had a 2.4 liter cih4 engine and it has been popular tuning to cut the 24V cih6-head and place it on top of the four to make it a 16V. Exotic but rather expensive as it needs new cams etc. Opel itself raced 16V CIH4 crossflow heads but they are even more exotic and way more expensive. They were used in rallying in Ascona 400 and Manta 400 models. Now the german tuning house Risse offers the engines and parts.

Omega B was another thing, it no longer had straight-6 gasoline engines as they were replaced by V6's (2.5, 3.0 and 3.2). It still had a 2.5 I6 turbodiesel but that one came from BMW. Omega A also had a diesel, 4cyl that used the CIH block. This was also used in previous Rekords in the D, E1 and E2 generations (2.1, 2.3, 2.3TD).

hahaha

all this talk of Omegas here being the new thing (on VE)

...not :p

Wesuri

Reaction score
Website
www.opel6070club.com
Members Ride
Yes, Opel Omega A was made 1986-93 and the B generation 1994-2003. B had a facelift in 2000.

Since Omega production ended Opel didn't have a large (or any) rwd to offer. Vectra C was all there was until the Insignia A came out. Insignia is available in either fwd or 4wd. During the development of the Insignia there were rumours and speculation about Omega C and Holden imports but this is the situation now, horizon ahead is fuzzy... The new electric car proto Ampera (based on Chevy Volt) looks promising.

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
Its interesting to see that it looks like certain things did get carried over from opel to holden or vice versa, for instance the door locks, handles, window switches and rear pillar outer garnish all look like they're from VN-VS commodores.