Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ordered my ZB on Friday night....

Paul Smedley

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY23 Tesla Model 3 RWD, MY23 Tesla Model Y RWD
The below is from a post to an ex-Holden employees group on facebook last Saturday:
"Putting on my flame proof suit..... I have a confession to make..... I drove a ZB today, and I liked it...

We (HVO) built a terrific car, and for the last 6 or 7 months of manufacturing, were the #1 plant in GM for Right First Time, however, the ZB is a big leap above the VF from a refinement and technology (AEB, lane keep assist, DAB, AWD, Android Auto/Apple Carplay, etc) point of view (as it should be given it's a new model).

Now I agree with many, that the Commodore name should have been retired with VF, and let the ZB be an Insignia (or whatever), however, I'm still seriously considering a ZB - just a matter of whether it's a Calais V or a VXR!

Ready to be flamed now!"

I ended up ordering a ZB Calais V on Friday night, to replace my VF Calais V V6. For me the extra technology makes the upgrade worthwhile. I should be collecting the car on Wednesday all going well!

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
The below is from a post to an ex-Holden employees group on facebook last Saturday:
"Putting on my flame proof suit..... I have a confession to make..... I drove a ZB today, and I liked it...

We (HVO) built a terrific car, and for the last 6 or 7 months of manufacturing, were the #1 plant in GM for Right First Time, however, the ZB is a big leap above the VF from a refinement and technology (AEB, lane keep assist, DAB, AWD, Android Auto/Apple Carplay, etc) point of view (as it should be given it's a new model).

Now I agree with many, that the Commodore name should have been retired with VF, and let the ZB be an Insignia (or whatever), however, I'm still seriously considering a ZB - just a matter of whether it's a Calais V or a VXR!

Ready to be flamed now!"

I ended up ordering a ZB Calais V on Friday night, to replace my VF Calais V V6. For me the extra technology makes the upgrade worthwhile. I should be collecting the car on Wednesday all going well!

Good on you , hope you enjoy it , stuff the haters .

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

Ready to be flamed now!"

That's nice, but I think there is a bit of false info here. The VF had less gadgets than the VE if i'm not mistaken and I wholly believe that was purely because Holden/GM just couldn't be bothered because it was the last model. All those fancy gadgets listed above were available in the GM parts bins so the options where there for Holden.

SSVREDLINE2014

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
That's nice, but I think there is a bit of false info here. The VF had less gadgets than the VE if i'm not mistaken and I wholly believe that was purely because Holden/GM just couldn't be bothered because it was the last model. All those fancy gadgets listed above were available in the GM parts bins so the options where there for Holden.

VF has more gadgets then the VE?

Paul Smedley

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY23 Tesla Model 3 RWD, MY23 Tesla Model Y RWD

I've love some examples of gadgets that VE had that VF didn't? I do agree that some of the technology that's in ZB, could have been added into VF if the interest was there - things like AEB, lane keep assist and Android Auto/Apple Carplay were all available in other GM platforms around the MY16 timeframe and could have been included in VF2 if the desire had been there.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF has more gadgets then the VE?

Gadgets is probably not the best term, but in terms of overall technology. Holden definitely lost interest in fitting the latest tech in the VF.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
The ZB seems to be getting a slightly better reception here in NZ than in Australia, going by these two recent reviews...

2018 HOLDEN COMMODORE ZB REVIEW - TOTAL RECALIBRATION

From Central Otago to central Auckland in our new ZB Commodore

I hope your ZB gives you as much pleasure as my VFII LS3 Ute does me.

quite right it has , but in NZ the market is different to Australia , to be brutally honest , New Zealanders don't think they are Americans , they are New Zealanders .

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ouch....