Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Orig spec tyres for staggered 19" on S1 Redline Wagon

Dart77

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK wagon, S1 VE wagon SSV8
They had Bridgestone RE050A tyres 245/40 front and 275/35 rear. You can still buy RE050A's, they're expensive, old technology and not that good today. My preference with a good value for money second tier performance tyre is the Bridgestone RE003, a massively better tyre at all levels than the old RE050A. Above that I'd choose a Michelin PS4S at a much greater cost of course for a top-level performance tyre.

Bridgestone's top tier performance tyre the Potenza Sport, has the ugliest sidewall imaginable with a large rim protector protrusion to the extent that personally, I couldn't fit a tyre so visually unappealing.
Thanks for that! and the valuable advice on tyres too. I don't drive cars hard so I'll look at the RE003's as well. Of the set of 4 I bought, the two rears were brand new in boxes so they're the only ones I need tyres for, as the fronts (as new used rims) already have decent tread Pirelli Dragon Sport on them.

Interesting about the rim protector protrusion you mentioned - they do sound horrible. I've only seen that I think, on one other tyre - a 175 razorblade on a spare wheel from a 1970 Valiant! Almost looks like a crossply.

Dart77

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Let us know how the Eagle F1s go. I tried to buy some but they were unavailable at the time. I went with the PS4Ss - definitely an improvement over the RE050As which seem to go off after a few years.
Will do. But they are also unavailable here too (Perth). BJTM said they won't have them until the NY. So I might look at other brands like the PS45s. I would just prefer to give my money to the US rather than china. I know it sounds pedantic but that's me. Goodyear are one of only a few tyre manufacturers still making in the US. Even Pirelli when still in Italy, which had a really rough time during Covid, were bought out by China for cents in the dollar and now majority owned by them. The Pirelli Dragon Sport on my front rims are made in china. So won't be buying them.

Dart77

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
We have a S1 Redline with 43k kms which the better-half babies & which has just had it's 4th set of rear tyres installed.
Factory RE050's, a set of PS4S's, and a stuff-up by Tempe Tyres where one side was a PS4S & the other side a SuperSport.
RE003's don't last any longer than the PS4S's AFAIK.

I just had a pair of Pilot Sport 5 fitted - hoping they will last a bit longer.
Good experience to hear about from a Redline Wagon owner. But that's a lot of tyres in only 43k. Well seems to me anyway. Haven't heard of the Pilot Sports but just looked em up and see they are Michelin. I think they should last a bit longer. Hope so.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
The Michelin Pilot Sport 4S is the more expensive, softer, grippier and shorter-wearing younger/hotter sibling of the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 ... and the 4S is also more expensive than the 4.

However to muddy the waters, a year or so ago Michelin released the successor to the Pilot Sport 4, the Pilot Sport 5 ... but there is no Pilot Sport 5S yet.

The Pilot SuperSport I don't even really understand the point of, it seems to be an older design which fills the same niche as the Sport 4S. I was willing to believe it was incompetence by Tempe Tyres which caused me to get a SuperSport on one rear & a Sport 4S on the other side, but my feelings about that company leads me to want to believe they did it on purpose to get rid of an old tyre they'd failed to sell for years.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Thanks for that! and the valuable advice on tyres too. I don't drive cars hard so I'll look at the RE003's as well. Of the set of 4 I bought, the two rears were brand new in boxes so they're the only ones I need tyres for, as the fronts (as new used rims) already have decent tread Pirelli Dragon Sport on them.

Interesting about the rim protector protrusion you mentioned - they do sound horrible. I've only seen that I think, on one other tyre - a 175 razorblade on a spare wheel from a 1970 Valiant! Almost looks like a crossply.

The rim protectors on tyres are there to help prevent damaging the rims if you get too close to a gutter or alikes.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Will do. But they are also unavailable here too (Perth). BJTM said they won't have them until the NY. So I might look at other brands like the PS45s. I would just prefer to give my money to the US rather than china. I know it sounds pedantic but that's me. Goodyear are one of only a few tyre manufacturers still making in the US. Even Pirelli when still in Italy, which had a really rough time during Covid, were bought out by China for cents in the dollar and now majority owned by them. The Pirelli Dragon Sport on my front rims are made in china. So won't be buying them.

You'll get a shock if you ever look at where tyres are made.....

Some companies have outlets all over the world and yet people swear by their tyres.

Oh and a little hint...Some Bridgestones are made in China, so I guess they're off your shopping list;)

Can't remember but I vaguely recall some Goodyears were made there too

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
The rim protectors on tyres are there to help prevent damaging the rims if you get too close to a gutter or alikes.
Enthusiasts who appreciate wheel and tyre glamour, can generally drive with greater skill to avoid hitting kerbs to need rim protector tyres.