Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

OTR and custom tune

Davemac

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SSV Redline & 2009 SS Sportswagon
Just noticed on the OTR that I had installed yesterday that the rubber weather strip on the front underside of the bonnet has not been cut or removed, wouldn't this restrict airflow and power that the engine would make?
Has anyone else had one installed and the weather strip has stayed in place?

When I got my car a few months ago, the weather strip was still factory. The OTR instructions indicate that under bonnet temps could be higher if not cut although I never saw any higher engine temp. I've since cut it as per the instructions and throttle response certainly seems better.

F1Aussie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 COMMODORE
Cut the middle section of the rubber between the 2 clips leaving around 1.5cm extra length on each end (approx 50cm from mem)

this will maximise the airflow cold air intake potential
Cool, thanks, will do so.

F1Aussie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 COMMODORE
When I got my car a few months ago, the weather strip was still factory. The OTR instructions indicate that under bonnet temps could be higher if not cut although I never saw any higher engine temp. I've since cut it as per the instructions and throttle response certainly seems better.
That is good to know.

F1Aussie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 COMMODORE
Anyone here have an otrcai installed and also have one of those little plastic bonnet protectors on their car? If so did you take the protector off when you got the OTR? I can see from how it wraps under the bonnet that it could reduce airflow to the OTR.

Shen Long

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice 5.7L
Anyone here have an otrcai installed and also have one of those little plastic bonnet protectors on their car? If so did you take the protector off when you got the OTR? I can see from how it wraps under the bonnet that it could reduce airflow to the OTR.
That’s optional mate but logic will tell you that if the protector is in the path of the OTR - then chances are it will reduce the air flow.

to what degree, well that’s another story, so the choice is yours if you want to remove the bonnet protector.

F1Aussie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 COMMODORE
That’s optional mate but logic will tell you that if the protector is in the path of the OTR - then chances are it will reduce the air flow.

to what degree, well that’s another story, so the choice is yours if you want to remove the bonnet protector.
Yeah, I was not sure if these things have an optimum ) specific amount of air required or just as much as it can get access too. Think I will take it off then.

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
I cannot see any significant loss from that. Never heard of any circumstance where this has been mentioned either, OTR will draw plenty enough through the grille area too.
99431220-9EBC-48E6-B4ED-DE59AF0A0E11.jpeg

Last edited:

F1Aussie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 COMMODORE
I cannot see any significant loss from that. Never heard of any circumstance where this has been mentioned either, OTR will draw plenty enough through the grille area too.
View attachment 235514
I have the orssom one and the openings for that kind of face upwards from what I can see it would really only draw air from above the grille and I think that is why they recommend to cut the rubber bonnet seal in front of it.

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
From my research, it seems that the advice from manufacturers is to cut off the rubber in front to get more fresh air to the upper inlets.
The size of the lower and upper seems to vary a bit too between the makes. Orrsom looks to have bigger upper inlets?

I saw this on a VE HSV at Geelong. Look cool, but must be so bad for high intake temps.

q4k9yLU.jpg

F1Aussie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 COMMODORE
From my research, it seems that the advice from manufacturers is to cut off the rubber in front to get more fresh air to the upper inlets.
The size of the lower and upper seems to vary a bit too between the makes. Orrsom looks to have bigger upper inlets?

I saw this on a VE HSV at Geelong. Look cool, but must be so bad for high intake temps.

q4k9yLU.jpg
Yes the upper inlets are quite significant in size on the orssom.