Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Overfilled engine oil?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Interesting to note... He used 1L bottles... So did he put in all 9L or has he charged you for the 9th bottle as he had to open it. Its a fairly common practice. What does the dipstick say?

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
you need to get a better mechanic

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Between the empty and full on the dipstick is usually 1L. Now think you've added nearly that entire amount again. Look at the dipstick. It has a full mark for a reason.

Take it the 3km drive back and have him rectify it.

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
He's from the middle east, they're not as stingy with their oil over there. Only when they sell it to us hahahah

pbax

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
I suggest read a manual or watch a video on youtube and figure out how to change the oil yourself.
That way its more fun, save some money and know the job has been done correctly.

phillmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon 2011
Could start the education with, How to use the dip stick. Beats just emptying 8.5 bottles in cause that's what was in the writings. Then ask advice on a forum.

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
If the mechanic did check the level via the dipstick he would have checked it after filling it and a few minutes after shutting the engine down, so find a nice flat area and do the same, (on the earlier models that is how GM say to check the level in the handbook, so I assume the VE would be the same). With my VX SS if I check it shortly after turning the engine off the level is usually right on the full mark, if I leave it parked in the garage overnight and check it the next morning, the level is a good 5 to 6 mm above full, the oil drains down from the overhead areas overnight and reads higher. I usually check mine after it sits overnight but I know it will be a bit over the full line. I would check your handbook and see what the recommended checking procedure is and if they say to check a few minutes after shutdown and it is only a little over the full line I would not worry about it.

Michael-08-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore
A coworker of mine drained his tranny oil and added however many litres of oil to his engine... No oil in the tranny and 12-13 litres in the engine... And he drove it around for a while before I said his car sounds like a shrunken f1 car haha

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
The VS v6 takes 4.3l with oil filter.
U don`t get all the oil out.
From when I first got it I tried 4l and checked it the next day and it was on the full mark.
Been doing that for the last 7.5yrs. always right.

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
A coworker of mine drained his tranny oil and added however many litres of oil to his engine... No oil in the tranny and 12-13 litres in the engine... And he drove it around for a while before I said his car sounds like a shrunken f1 car haha

I doubt you'd get any drive at all?