Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Overheating Problems, HELP!

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
Where is the bubbling sound coming from? If it's in the overflow bottle try a new cap or a friend had to bend the tabs on his to increase the grip against the radiator as coolant was escaping under pressure when hot but not sucking back in as the engine cooled.
If it's over heating at idle this may mean an air flow problem. Check that the fans are coming on or run your aircon at idle which will start at least one of the fans and see if it still happens.
Also check for oil in your radiator or coolant in your oil which indicates a problem with either your head gaskets or inlet manifold gaskets. The inlet manifold on my VY came loose and oil got into the radiator. It didn't overheat but I'd imagine it would eventually fail.

PirateJoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute, YZF-R6
I'd be checking the operation of everything in the cooling system Chaps, dont just guess here and there. It could but be a thermostat but I'd be checking the temp gauge in your car at the same time to ensure the reading is correct.
If you hear air or bubbling/boiling, remember a cooling system is a sealed system designed to prevent this so the fluid doesnt boil. So you have either an faulty thermostat, air lock, faulty rad cap or exhaust gas entering the system.
A CO dye test can be carried out on the car easily to determine if there's exhaust gases entering.
The fact that it only happens in traffic - in traffic there's no natural flow of air through the radiator, Have you checked the fans are coming on?
Remember if you have to drive and the temp is climbing you can crank the air on full heat and open all your windows. It will help a little to cool the car down, but not massively.
Time for some diagnosis. Good luck mate.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
if you do it with the engine running it doesn't explode in your face but do take care
;)

Learn something new everyday lol
But it was over heating so best not to let it cook and run without coolant lol

PirateJoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute, YZF-R6
if you do it with the engine running it doesn't explode in your face but do take care
;)

Never try this, if it's overheating there will be an excess of pressure in a sealed system and as soon as the pressurised water is at atmospheric temperature it will want to boil.
It will blow out of the radiator, a pressurised overflow tank system is slightly different yes, but still not recommended if you dont know what your doing.

You can also crack a head while opening an overheated radiator, best to leave it to cool down first.

adjustin

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt calais 98
all good points that have previously been considered. End result, $8.65 for a new radiator cap fixed the blowback issue in my car. Hasn't made any of the noise since replacing it this morning.
I now have a fully (except hoses) reconditioned cooling system, which at 12 years old it was needed anyway.

Definate answer to air rushing out of radiator into overflow after turning the car off, new radiator cap..., if you can eliminate the water pump, thermostat, radiator, (humour)

I know I didn't start this thread but I am glad I found it, so thank you to all involved. No doubt we'll cross threads again, I own an aging holden.

good luck chaps

Mick1988

W.A. Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.sarichtechnology.com
Members Ride
Too many to list......

PirateJoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute, YZF-R6
↑↑*Best Pauline Hanson voice*↑↑

Killr6

tutut
Reaction score
Members Ride
BA XR6T
hey guys i had the same problem with my vt, when driving all of sudden the fans would come on and the car would overheat... so as i drove it to the mechanic my blew just outside the mechanic (i was lucky) what happened was my heater valve tap, thermostat went all because my water pump had a leak, which i didnt even know of, then a few days later my radiator had a huge crack in it, cost me about $800 to fix all up.

check those things from my past experience with the problem, hope it helps.