Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Overheating Problems

som

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive
I agree with Brett that it's unlikely that the heads themselves will be damaged but I'd definitely be removing them to check them as Brett described. Then it's just a matter of replacing gaskets,"O"rings etc.It's also worth replacing hoses and at least checking the heater valve to avoid a problem in the future.I remember reading on a previous thread re the importance of using good coolant, at the correct ratio,and also to use distilled water.2 good points to remember.Good luck mate.You'll be back on the road in no time.

Wagon92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Okay, so i have removed the heads and they dont look to bad, but the inlet manifold gasket was pretty Stuffed ( i will upload so pictures when i can work out how to get them off my phone) im taking it to Head Torque tomorrow for them to have a look at. While i have half me engine apart is there anything else i should replace or anything while im at this point?

webbiegareth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
Nearly every V6 commy that Ive replaced the inlet manifold gaskets on, (and ive done quite a few now), has had coolant going into the cylinders via the leaking inlet maifold gasket(s), It gets in down through the intake ports. The coolant then gets pumped out through the exhaust pipe.

Mine's doing that right now. I have ordered the metal gaskets from Mace Engineering, they are being fitted next Friday. :) I keep having to top up coolant and there's brown sludge under the radiator cap. :( Thankfully the oil is fine, so it's the inleft manifold gasket again - it's done it before as well (but last time I replaced it with the plastic GM one... this time I'm using the Mace metal one!). Mine's a VXII with 280,000 on the clock.

Wagon92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Finished the rebuild of the top end and all is good, it also runs alot cooler now, it US showing me just over 1/3 where s it used to be right in the middle, I couldn't manage to load any pictures

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VG 5spd manual Ute
overheating vy very quickly no reason?

Hey sorry if this is the wrong place to post. never really posted,

On my way to work this morning my car was running fine when i put my foot down to over take the temp gauge shot up to full and the dash started beeping warning me of dangerous engine temp only sat on hot for about 10 -20 seconds and then dropped right back down to normal (1/2 way) checked coolant when i got to work seemed fine, don't think the engine actually overheated due to how short it took to heat up and cool down total of about 20-30 seconds, is this a common issue with the sensors? or bad fuel, or time to replace my intake manifold as the above posts suggest? forgot to mention I drive an 03 v6 vy

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
Hey sorry if this is the wrong place to post. never really posted,

On my way to work this morning my car was running fine when i put my foot down to over take the temp gauge shot up to full and the dash started beeping warning me of dangerous engine temp only sat on hot for about 10 -20 seconds and then dropped right back down to normal (1/2 way) checked coolant when i got to work seemed fine, don't think the engine actually overheated due to how short it took to heat up and cool down total of about 20-30 seconds, is this a common issue with the sensors? or bad fuel, or time to replace my intake manifold as the above posts suggest? forgot to mention I drive an 03 v6 vy

You might need to bleed the coolant. If you've got air in the system the temperature can do some weird things