Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

P plate exhaust mods

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
hmm.. insurance is the only thing putting me off. I don't want to be in an accident and the insurance mob saying that they don't have to pay up as I was driving an illegal vehicle.

I'm gonna get the set up anyway. Just deciding on a lukey 2.5" or the SS twin 2.25".

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
play dumb, sorry mr piggy i bought the car like it i didn't know it was illegal, and u'll get off with a warnng if it's even a problem.

tell your insurance mob you have it and then your covered the only way they can get out of the to get your crashed car defected. and it's a bit hard to do the decibal test if you've been rear ended and the exhaust tip is hanging out the back window ;)

hagz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais v8
go 2 1/2 sounds nice and
ask your insurance company they will be able to tell wat the go is

FATVR94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
yeah i agree with padrickz88, i had a vr executive, 18's, slightly lowered, CAI running into a pod, pacemaker extractors, high flow cat, 2 1/2" cat back, and never got pulled over for the year and a bit i drove it.. engine produced a bit of noise from pod, and the 'zorst screams when planted, but if you take it easy it still puts out a good note, cops dont worry bout it, but then again i was on my green p's..

but yeah all in all, if they do ask you then just put on the apologetic story... but i doubt you will need too... :)

FATVR94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
yes just ask your insurance company, the will tell you whether they will insure you or not, just cars is the way to go i think....

Chris E

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Executive 3.8
I'm in Qld on red p plates and I've got genie headers, a twin cat system then a single muffler with twin dumps. Full exhaust system.

My insurance knows about it, and I've had an incident with the police where they gave my car a thorough going over and would have had every right to throw the book at me (won't go into it) but they didn't mention anything. Even had a pod filter on the car at the time.

Maybe I was really lucky? but I doubt it there were several coppers I'm sure one of them would have tried to book me for it if they could.

Best bet is ring up mainroads and find out from the people who make the rules themselves.

Maxseverity

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
I have a mate on red p's that drives a ute. I don't know what he's done but it sounds like a truck using engine brakes.. :yeah:

GILLO

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Berlina
Does anyone have a list of the things P platers CAN do? Is there any modification that can be done to the exhaust legally? I am sure you could change the tip, there would be no performance gain there.

I had a look on the VicRoads website but it doesn't say exactly what can and can't be done. It just says:

From 1 July 2007, new restrictions on driving high powered vehicles were introduced for probationary licence drivers who obtained their licence from this date.

From this date a probationary licence holder cannot drive a vehicle if it has:

* An engine of eight or more cylinders;
* a turbocharged or supercharged engine (except diesel powered vehicles);
* an engine that has been modified to increase its performance; and/or
* any of the following high performance six cylinder vehicles as published in the
Government Gazette

From 1 July 2007, the penalty for driving a high powered vehicle will be three demerit points and a maximum fine of approximately $1100.

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
You have to dig pretty hard to get the info you want out of my experience. Nothing can be done to the car and that includes the exhaust but most coppers won't pull you up for it. I'm guessing that just changing the mufflers over would be ok but not sure. Changing the tip is simply cosmetic so completely legal there.

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Getting any solid information out of vicroads is impossible, there is know exact definition of whats counted as a performance modification, though the best answer I did get off a vicraods staff member was that the law was open to interpretation to those enforcing it, which if you research, sounds about right lol.

I was just thinking, it should be legal to remove rear resi and run a straight pipe from muffler back, thus it doesnt increase power, is roadworthy, but does make most cars sound alot better.