Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

P plates: whats the point?

Torquen

Boost FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
450+ HP FORD XR6T
any one know what exactley is the reason behind diplaying a P plates on both front and back windows. the only reasons i can see is so that cops know who 2 target. it makes sense to have a probaitionary licences by they (the cops) can look at your license to see that...we dont need big pull me ova plates as well. i see the point also in having L plates cause most cant drive for **** but P platers have passed three tests done numerous hours and been given the ok to drive. come one people be fair.

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
Well for a start p platers have different speed limits to fully licenced drivers, how the hell is a cop to know whether someone doing 110 down the highway is a p platers who is limited to 90 or 100? Are they meant to be pyschic or something.

V-ahhh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN/VT
Well for a start p platers have different speed limits to fully licenced drivers, how the hell is a cop to know whether someone doing 110 down the highway is a p platers who is limited to 90 or 100? Are they meant to be pyschic or something.

a good point but i do get targeted just because i have it there, i once asked a cop why he pulled me over and he pointed 2 the p plate and said thats why:ranting:

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special

i love victoria :D what ever the sign says, you do :D...
i havnt been pulled over YET, last night i was dropping a mate off and i go into a street and turn around (he lives on a main road) and as i was coming back out i gave way to the cops to go past and they just suddenly stared at me, BOTH of em... the driver was looking at me and giving me a greasy for no reason.. and he almost hit a parked car hahahaha... and the chick beside was just lookin like "ooo another p plater" but they didnt pull me over(it was abvious i wasnt doing anything wrong but they were waiting for me to stuff up), and wen i saw that he almost hit the car if he kept looking at me....
ricky: hahahahaha funni **** *drinks thickshake*
then continued driving:D
hahaha so funny sometimes
DW! i had the windows 3/4 way up and he was to far away to hear me laugh my ass off hahaha

The Stig

Reaction score
didnt have to use p plates when I was in QLD .. was awesome... went from L plates to no plates hehehe....

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
quite true, no P plates needed in QLD...so that makes you wonder a bit.

funny thing about P plates is, i used to live in NSW where they use them and when i was on my P's any time you'd pull up next to another P plater at some lights or where ever it was like there was an unspoken rule that a drag was supposed to ensue.
i guess it was kind of like "i know your young, stupid and up for a drag" because you've got P plates.
it got really annoying and i hated being stereotyped because of the P plates and people would always do really moronic stuff around you as soon as they saw them.
i really dont think the pros out weight the cons when it comes to P plates, they just arent that usefull .
sure they are "supposed" to identify you to other drivers as only having a provisional licence, but it just isnt needed. As for allowing cops to police the speed limits for P's, pretty much the only place you really do over 90 or 100k/hr (the limits for the two types of P's in NSW) is on a freeway, and alot of P platers just take them off if they go on one, so it defeats the purpose anyway.

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
well L plates i can agree with to me it reads "Look out, keep some distance and dont spook the poor kid by flying past him or something stupid"

as for P plates, i also keep my distance from them, i've only been off my P's for a year so i cant talk about experience but would rather keep some allowence for platers.

bit like Japan where they have a Leaf Sticker, its more of a "hey mind out, n00b coming though" type warning

S Pack

Topped out @ 230kph
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mercedes E-Class 2007, E220 CDI Wagon
i dont know about everyone else but i give them more room.....as for displaying in the front.....well when i look rear vision and see a P or L behind me i know to brake slower and earlier so i dont get one running up the rear.

you might have experience bein on ur P's but that doesnt mean u use ur head all the time while driving.

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
Yeah i with sircruze, sittin at the lights n 2 p platers pull up, there always lookin for a drag..

I find it a bit of a pain on single lanes roads coz they block up a heap traffic then when everyone gets a chance to go by the always give em a hard time for slowing them down, and making there trip that lil bit longer.

I think they should still wear the plates but be allowed to go the same speed as the rest of the traffic.

Would stop a bit of the p plate road rage that goes on.