Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

P plates: whats the point?

Boganhunter

Seek and Destroy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina V6
quite true, no P plates needed in QLD...so that makes you wonder a bit.

funny thing about P plates is, i used to live in NSW where they use them and when i was on my P's any time you'd pull up next to another P plater at some lights or where ever it was like there was an unspoken rule that a drag was supposed to ensue.
i guess it was kind of like "i know your young, stupid and up for a drag" because you've got P plates.
it got really annoying and i hated being stereotyped because of the P plates and people would always do really moronic stuff around you as soon as they saw them.
i really dont think the pros out weight the cons when it comes to P plates, they just arent that usefull .
sure they are "supposed" to identify you to other drivers as only having a provisional licence, but it just isnt needed. As for allowing cops to police the speed limits for P's, pretty much the only place you really do over 90 or 100k/hr (the limits for the two types of P's in NSW) is on a freeway, and alot of P platers just take them off if they go on one, so it defeats the purpose anyway.

I wholehartedly agree. I am a P plate driver in victoria and have been for the last 2.5 years. Ill pull up pole position at a set of lights and there will always be some wanker wanting a drag next to me. Sure enough, he's a P plater too. He takes off like a shower of **** and I just cruise away. Honestly, whats the point of dragging someone to the speed limit at a set of lights? "Wow man your stock Commodore is so powerful with its 20 inch wheels, neon lights and chrome exhaust tip. I bow to you man"

Give me a break. If you want to do it properly and legally, go to a drag strip and destroy a set of tyres and you'll realise that your car isn't that great and yes, you do infact have a small doodle.

I am a responsible driver, but I do cut loose sometimes but I make damn sure I'm doing it in a low traffic and low populated area. I have never had or caused an accident in all the time I have been driving. I got hit up the arse by a P plater on Monday afternoon because he was speeding and couldn't stop quick enough before he smashed the arse of my car to ****. Now I look like the token ******** P plater with a smashed up rear end and I honestly feel embarrassed to drive my car.

As for P plates, I think they are a waste of time. The only real reason for them here in Victoria is for the police to target people who might have had a beer after work and have a 0.001 BAC so they can do a bit of revenue raising.

CarlySS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS / VN S
Yeah i with sircruze, sittin at the lights n 2 p platers pull up, there always lookin for a drag..

I find it a bit of a pain on single lanes roads coz they block up a heap traffic then when everyone gets a chance to go by the always give em a hard time for slowing them down, and making there trip that lil bit longer.

I think they should still wear the plates but be allowed to go the same speed as the rest of the traffic.

Would stop a bit of the p plate road rage that goes on.

yes even us girls when we pull up at the lights next to another p plater of course were lookin for a drag lol thats why cops target us so much more then other drivers.
and yeh there shouldnt be different road rules for us then full licenced drivers, i dont mind displaying my p plates, but i go the speed limit on the signs so lol i dont care never been pulled up because of speeding just the normally breatho and stuff

CarlySS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS / VN S
I wholehartedly agree. I am a P plate driver in victoria and have been for the last 2.5 years. Ill pull up pole position at a set of lights and there will always be some wanker wanting a drag next to me. Sure enough, he's a P plater too. He takes off like a shower of **** and I just cruise away. Honestly, whats the point of dragging someone to the speed limit at a set of lights? "Wow man your stock Commodore is so powerful with its 20 inch wheels, neon lights and chrome exhaust tip. I bow to you man"

Give me a break. If you want to do it properly and legally, go to a drag strip and destroy a set of tyres and you'll realise that your car isn't that great and yes, you do infact have a small doodle.
got a very good point there, the road is meant to get us to where we want to go not get us into hospital by D**k heads on the road

but still there is some decent p platers around just remember

CarlySS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS / VN S
well L plates i can agree with to me it reads "Look out, keep some distance and dont spook the poor kid by flying past him or something stupid"

as for P plates, i also keep my distance from them, i've only been off my P's for a year so i cant talk about experience but would rather keep some allowence for platers.

bit like Japan where they have a Leaf Sticker, its more of a "hey mind out, n00b coming though" type warning
i do not agree with that, as i think L plates take more notice to the road rulse more then p platers, because they are new at it all. but i agree with your p plater comment so many p platers go round hooning in and out of trafic thinking the own the road(no wonder they end up wraped aroud a tree)

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Just to show the in-equality of policing behind P-Plates.

Guy i work with, he's at least 45, was driving his daughters boyfriends Skyline for some reason (with the P-Plate still on) Went round a corner and, because he's used to driving a tractor (Navara) he gave the tyres a bit of a spin and smoke and a little sideways.

Anyway, there was a cop waiting at the lights...put the sirens on and pulled him up. Walked to the window and looked shocked at the age, expecting it to be a P-Plater. Mate explained that it wasnt his car, produced his license, and got waved on and told to take the P Plates down.

Yet if we dont display P-Plates, we get a fine and points.

I went round a corner onto Dorset Rd From Mountain Hwy(explained this before but will again) and a truck was coming over the rise so mid corner i had to boot it to avoid getting rammed by the truck (blind crest) anyway, i got away from the truck, accelerated to the speed limit and continued on my way. I never once broke traction or chirped the tires in any way.

About 2 km down the road an undercover cop pulls me up and says "You were driving like a tool coming around the corner like that, the car was leaning right over on the suspension, you're lucky i dont book you"

Total crap, so what if the car was under full load on one side? The suspension was still within its limits, i was still in control of the car by way of NOT going sideways or chirping. I didnt speed, skid or slide, stayed in my lane, didnt cause anybody to have to take evasive action yet i get accused of driving like a tool but a non P-Plater does more and gets away with a warning. I do nothing and cop it.

CarlySS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS / VN S
ok well thats unfair and think the cops need to be finding the idiots on the road that are putting all us normally drivers in risk

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
i do not agree with that, as i think L plates take more notice to the road rulse more then p platers, because they are new at it all. but i agree with your p plater comment so many p platers go round hooning in and out of trafic thinking the own the road(no wonder they end up wraped aroud a tree)

When I was an L plater, First drive I did was up the Black spur through Narbethong etc.... Now that was a drive lol

Everyone I see hoon past me in the mornings an ****, They cut inbetween cars speed etc.. Get to next set of lights an there next to me or behind me again. What's the point?!?

------

I dont mind having P plates up, The local cops Know my car too much already... It's scary when cops start using first names with you. An not once I did anything wrong, I've had cops look at my car, Or pull me over out of boredom. An they honestly admit it.

Cheers
MaT

CarlySS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS / VN S
haha yeah, but still i disagree

Mr Squishi

Need Beer.
Reaction score
Members Ride
1989 VN SS (Auto)
any one know what exactley is the reason behind diplaying a P plates on both front and back windows. the only reasons i can see is so that cops know who 2 target. it makes sense to have a probaitionary licences by they (the cops) can look at your license to see that...we dont need big pull me ova plates as well. i see the point also in having L plates cause most cant drive for **** but P platers have passed three tests done numerous hours and been given the ok to drive. come one people be fair.

three tests? God I love Tassie! Only 2! (provided you pass both of course)

ProphetVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
A Pushie
When I was an L plater, First drive I did was up the Black spur through Narbethong etc.... Now that was a drive lol

Everyone I see hoon past me in the mornings an ****, They cut inbetween cars speed etc.. Get to next set of lights an there next to me or behind me again. What's the point?!?

------

I dont mind having P plates up, The local cops Know my car too much already... It's scary when cops start using first names with you. An not once I did anything wrong, I've had cops look at my car, Or pull me over out of boredom. An they honestly admit it.

Cheers
MaT
In all honesty though, what cop wouldn't pull over a P plater with a VK, VL, VN, VP, VR or VS?

They more often than not are cars that will cop a thrashing by P platers. Unfortunately the car you drive makes you an easy target for cops to pick you out. They usually won't pull up someone driving an excel for example.

Its just the way it goes, some cars have the "hoon" label attached to them.