Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

P plates: whats the point?

Charg'd

Reaction score
Members Ride
ford
any one know what exactley is the reason behind diplaying a P plates on both front and back windows. the only reasons i can see is so that cops know who 2 target. it makes sense to have a probaitionary licences by they (the cops) can look at your license to see that...we dont need big pull me ova plates as well. i see the point also in having L plates cause most cant drive for **** but P platers have passed three tests done numerous hours and been given the ok to drive. come one people be fair.

are you serious? the reason for p plates are simple, to let other people know that you are still fairly new to driving & still learning. When people see p platers, they realise it & may give you that extra bit of room that you might need. Think about it.

Also, just because you can pass a computer test & go for a little drive with an instructor in a car, dosnt mean you know everything about driving, no one does, you get better with time.

as for the comment on the "Pull me over Plates" well, you sound like a typical p plater, you blames cops for targetting you? Blame the majority of wanka's with commodores & p plates, cops dont just target people, being a ****wit makes you a target, if you behave & dont be a tool , you have nothing to worry about if you do get pulled over do you?

sganro

i speak before i think
Reaction score
Members Ride
yet another VS
i dont see any point in them other than giving the law someone to target. cops love busting young fullas, and p plates let them single young drivers out. Luckily we dont have to have p plates up here.
I agree with the whole p platers not having as much experience thing, but i reckon just because people who have been behind the wheel for longer, it doesnt mean they are more responsible drivers.

fourstar82

Head Chef Honcho
Reaction score
Website
s31.photobucket.com
Members Ride
VYII 25th Anniversary, 2007 VE Calais
Don't agree with opinion thatcertain types of cars attract attention from cops. The whole time I was driving my old VS around on my P plates, I never got pulled over once, never got a second glance, etc... So I've either been extremely lucky, or the cops round my area just don't care... Same thing when I've driven my old mans Calais. It really is quite strange, but i'm not complaining!!! I've never been pulled up in the Camry either, but whos going to pull up a granny mobile?! :p

vr_owner

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr 3.8lt executive
got a very good point there, the road is meant to get us to where we want to go not get us into hospital by D**k heads on the road

but still there is some decent p platers around just remember

true im on my "L"s and ive had p platers try an drag me along with people that arent on there p's or l's i just dont care if someone wants to drag me, sure be a d!ckhead just prove to everyone else that ur even more of one., but some "p" platers just leave me alone which is good

calais_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT Calais s1 - 195i
as for the comment on the "Pull me over Plates" well, you sound like a typical p plater, you blames cops for targetting you? Blame the majority of wanka's with commodores & p plates, cops dont just target people, being a ****wit makes you a target, if you behave & dont be a tool , you have nothing to worry about if you do get pulled over do you?

so you can explain why i have never been pulled over in the calais but at least every 2-3 day i was being pulled over in my old eb....hell i don't even get pulled over going 1km/h over the limit anymore, in the ford cops would pull the handbrake hit the sirens and i'd be done...

god i love my calais, sooo inconspicous:p

but seriously it's just another way to give pollies more money, just like with the whole licence thing, if you don't show a cop your licence there and then you get a $150 fine, yet opens your aloud 24hrs, now honestly thats just pathetic and any cop who enforces this is just as pathetic.

ProphetVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
A Pushie
but i reckon just because people who have been behind the wheel for longer, it doesnt mean they are more responsible drivers.
It generally means they are less ****y though.

The amount of erratic P platers on the road is alot higher than regular drivers. Alot of P platers take alot of enjoyment from thrashing their cars, moreso than drivers who have been driving for many years. Gross over-generalisations? Perhaps, but I know when I was on my P plates, I thought I owned the road, I was over-confident, I had no qualms about thrashing my car in heavy traffic, I had no fear of being booked.... Thats all changed now as I've matured and gained more experience as a driver.

P platers generally enjoy the novelty of driving, whereas most seasoned drivers see it as means of getting from A to B (I know preaching to the wrong crowd here). I've lost count of the amount of times I've nearly been in an accident because a P plater has taken an unnecessary risk, yes there are bad drivers on the road in all classes of experience, but in terms of risk taking, you won't find a class that takes more than P platers.

In my experience, its generally red P platers that are risky, green P platers generally have gotten over that phase.

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
Just to satisfy my own curiosity, was this a serious question- Why to p plates have to be displayed? ... or is it just another twist on your typical p plater have a sook and bitch thread? The bitching and sooking has been done to death here a thousand times over. How about some useful posts..........

MikesVT

M&M =D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing :'(
Mmm... I think the L plates are good to let other drivers know its a learner and to back off and not give them a hard time (also to warn other drivers :p)

I been on my P's for about 8 months now, so I still have a while to go :( , I dont mind displaying them, the cars I get to drive consist of new beamers and mercs, my dads SS, and a few other really cool cars, so I kinda like letting everyone know I'm on P's and driving a better car than them lol... Then I get back into my Grandpa-mobile and just blend into the crowd.
So yeah, I dont really see the point in having them up, but I dont mind it