Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

P0171 and P0174 lean codes

duca1991

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Executive
So i replaced the EVAP valve with a new one and my Long term trims have fixed them selves, back within 5% margin. at first they were still 20% but i think the car had to re-adjust. After a minute they dropped below 5%.

My old EVAP i can sorta blow through it with some fair effort, or should it be easily blew through? does that mean anything?

duca1991

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Executive
Good to hear you are back up and running.
Unfortunately it didn't work for me... I pulled the purge valve out of the manifold and taped the hole in the manifold etc. but no change, removed it and couldn't blow through it so probably OK.
Cleaned MAP, removed and cleaned throttle body. Now LTFT increases with revs which is what is was like a few weeks ago. Might be a few probs combined. TPS still reads around 20% at idle but assume that's OK.
Removing manifold tomorrow then checking plugs, coils, injectors (if I can find them) and fuel line etc. The engine light came on a day after it was serviced so may indicate something not done correctly, but back then it was intermittent now it's always lean. If all that checks out I may then replace the fuel pump.

So i replaced the EVAP valve with a new one and my Long term trims have fixed them selves, back within 5% margin. at first they were still 20% but i think the car had to re-adjust. After a minute they dropped below 5%.

My old EVAP i can sorta blow through it with some fair effort, or should it be easily blew through? does that mean anything?

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
No, you shouldn't be able to blow through a good EVAP purge solenoid. All fixed :cool:

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
No, you shouldn't be able to blow through a good EVAP purge solenoid. All fixed :cool:

Magnum65

Reaction score
Members Ride
Z series sportwagon
Good outcome... I've done a temp fix for <5c, a piece of tape. That engine light is bloody bright at night ;). A few people have told me that the engine is near end of life with 240,000 kms so why bother spending money to fix.
Still planning to swap MAP sensors with wife's car and go from there.

duca1991

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Executive
Good outcome... I've done a temp fix for <5c, a piece of tape. That engine light is bloody bright at night ;). A few people have told me that the engine is near end of life with 240,000 kms so why bother spending money to fix.
Still planning to swap MAP sensors with wife's car and go from there.

The SIDI LFX engine only lasts 240,000 ??? what lol aha

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Yeah no point even changing the oil now or filling up with fuel, it's only got days to live HuHuhuuuu.
Maintain it properly and it could last a long time.

duca1991

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Executive
Yeah no point even changing the oil now or filling up with fuel, it's only got days to live HuHuhuuuu.
Maintain it properly and it could last a long time.

Yeah my 2013 sv6 z series, i got it at 60,000k its now got 120,000, The only thing i have noticed that has changed it the time it takes to crank. sometimes now it cranks for a second longer. Not sure what that is from but yeah, the car drives the same as when i got it.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
My 07 has 260 something on it and runs like a new one. On the rare occasion it throws up the engine light or rough idle etc etc the problem gets fixed then it runs like new again.

Magnum65

Reaction score
Members Ride
Z series sportwagon
Need to add fuel otherwise it goes nowhere!
Think they were talking about things start going wrong with this many kms, replace this then that etc. Starts turning into a money pit.

Anyway back to my problem. I've noticed the engine light goes out when the low fuel warning comes up, then reappears after a few starts with a full tank. So might be the purge system after all. Anything other than the purge valve to check for the evap system?