Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

P0171 and P0174 lean codes

duca1991

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Executive
Need to add fuel otherwise it goes nowhere!
Think they were talking about things start going wrong with this many kms, replace this then that etc. Starts turning into a money pit.

Anyway back to my problem. I've noticed the engine light goes out when the low fuel warning comes up, then reappears after a few starts with a full tank. So might be the purge system after all. Anything other than the purge valve to check for the evap system?
not that i know of man. I believe you have a evap issue, surly the fuel pump and system is fine. The cars are pretty new, but i read evap goes shitty after 100 - 140ks so im not sure haha

Magnum65

Reaction score
Members Ride
Z series sportwagon
OK, still have the issue with lean mixture... I replaced the purge valve as I got $20 off ebay so was cheap $53. Didn't fix it as I thought because I taped this and didn't see any change.
The pcv pipe on passenger side outputs a lot of air. I checked my wife's car and could not feel any pressure from this hose (one that goes before throttle body). What can cause excessive air coming through this hose? Is there supposed to be a restriction in this hose like the drivers side setup? Up to 265,000 km now and still going!

Chaotica69

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 Z series
Try blocking off the purge valve and see if the trims come back down. These are known to fail and introduce unmetered air resulting in a lean condition.
Thanks mate I’ve been searching for months trying to fix this problem I come across this thread and im glad i did got new purge valve after blocking the hole and bam problem fixed
Cheers

jess86

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY12 Sportswagon
OK, still have the issue with lean mixture... I replaced the purge valve as I got $20 off ebay so was cheap $53. Didn't fix it as I thought because I taped this and didn't see any change.
The pcv pipe on passenger side outputs a lot of air. I checked my wife's car and could not feel any pressure from this hose (one that goes before throttle body). What can cause excessive air coming through this hose? Is there supposed to be a restriction in this hose like the drivers side setup? Up to 265,000 km now and still going!

Just finishing off fixing an issue with symptoms exactly like this original one Magnum65 has I’m pretty sure!! hoping it’ll be sorted tomorrow.. wondering if you ended up ever getting it sorted, that passenger side hose is definitely part of your problem should be sucking air into the back of the engine from just before the throttle body it’s the fresh air intake part of the pcv system...

Magnum65

Reaction score
Members Ride
Z series sportwagon
It has been a while but thought I'd give an update.... Still have the engine light with 330K km's, so light has been on for over 110k km's. Car runs fine, still original 2012 battery! Any new thoughts on this issue, software upgrade?

QzickX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
Having issue with my 2010 Ve v6, read alot about it being a purge valve issue. Got ripped off a year ago told it was fuel pump got that replaced didn't fix issue, got fuel injectors replaced wasn't that either. Mechanic I now have I'm not sure reliable or not but said he has replaced a few purge valves on the VE's told me he wants to start with checking coils since I have a misfire but that misfire only came when I was in traffic with my mum going to Melbourne stop start traffic absolutely terrible, flashing engine light. But only done that 3 times since I have had the the issues which has been a year and 2 months. Car still runs. Turned car off everytime after flashing engine light or it goes away after 5 seconds. Wondering if the purge valve solenoid issue can get that bad it causes a misfire only a few times under terrible driving conditions and also cause rough idle and increased fuel economy,car seems to drive fine in higher rpm and higher speed but rough while idle and sometimes runs okay. Also have lean on bank 1 and 2 it was rich before I got the new fuel injectors now it's lean, so thinking fixed another issue and now this one is left. Took to dealer and was told that they chucked new solenoid on It and ran better but I was not about to pay 750$ for a part that cost 200$ to be fitted at a local mechanic. This is before going to the place I got ripped off at. Thinking about purchasing a solenoid today and replacing it myself or doing the tape test, but just want to know it a solenoid can get that bad and cause these issues. There is also a pshhh noise when opening petrol tank after a bit of driving and a air like noise I can hear while in the cabin of the car while idle.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, this is my first car and I was screwed over I believe but hoping new solenoid will fix my issues