Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

P0606 fault code, ECM/PCM Processing fault..

kizza50

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim S2
Ey guys, I have a 2007 Ve v v6 and last night I was driving and I booted it, maxed out then all of a sudden it entered safety mode and the check engine light came on. I switched the car on and off, and then the warning light was still there, I used my handheld scan tool. Launch cv reader to look at fault codes, it gave me p0606 which said ECM/PCM Processing fault. Has anyone seen this? Is there anything wrong with the vehicle if this code comes up,? Some people seem to think the PCM needs to be changed, I erased the code. Drove for about another hour. No lights or anything and everything working normal. Your thoughts ???

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Here is a bit more information from the workshop manual...

Can be viewed here
www.carmodder.com • Search Diagnostic Trouble Codes

Diagnostic Trouble Code Description:

Control Module Processor Performance

Possible Sensor Faults
ECM

Possible Related Diagnostic Trouble Codes
DTC P0601-P0604, P0606, P0607, P0610, P062B, P062F, P0630, P16F3, or P2610 for the 2.8L, 3.0L, 3.2L, or 3.6L engine (with LF1)

Circuit / System Description
This diagnostic applies to internal microprocessor integrity conditions within the engine control module (ECM). This diagnostic also addresses if the ECM is not programmed, or is programmed incorrectly.

Do you have any mods done to the car ??
Hows the service history with the car ??

Apart from that, the error code is very vague...
I would not worry too much, just keep an eye on things to see if anything else my be causing you problems

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
P0606

Note: A sticking intake manifold runner control valve or biased mass air flow sensor output may cause this DTC to set.

Otherwise if it keeps happening its the ECM that will need to be replaced.

kizza50

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim S2
Service history is perfect, never missed a beat before this, 120,000kms, always serviced at 7,500 intervals with castrol edge or mobil 1, what would you guys do? I drove it all today and no engine light came on or anything, could it be because I gave it everything with a full load and the powertrain couldn't cope?? I'm a mechanic from Mercedes Benz, and I know they can handle a bit without throwing codes lol, suppose just wait and see If it happens again?? Hope it's a once off.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Circuit/System Description
An intake manifold tuning solenoid valve is used to change the intake manifold plenum configuration. When the valve is open, the intake manifold is configured to one large plenum. When the valve is closed, the intake manifold is configured to two smaller plenums. The intake manifold tuning valve improves engine performance at low and high engine speeds.

Ignition voltage is supplied directly to the intake manifold tuning solenoid valve. The Engine Control Module (ECM) controls the solenoid by grounding the control circuit with a solid state device called a driver. The driver is equipped with a feedback circuit that is pulled-up to a voltage. The ECM can determine if the control circuit is open, shorted to ground, or shorted to a voltage by monitoring the feedback voltage.

This would explain why it happened when you opened up the throttle. may have been a one off. Just keep an eye on it and see if it faults again.

Carbon buildup can cause this to fault.

kizza50

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim S2
It logged a fault.... So when I switched it on n off it still had check engine.... Lucky my scan tool is kept in the vehicle.... N it also sounded a squeak type noise, like the belt had spun a little too quick on the crank but then when it gears up it stops straight away and then the fault happened,

Might do a fuel injection carbon clean, and clean throttle body and plenum aswell to be on the safe side, I was dreading the fault code p0018

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Will your scan tool allow you to command the manifold tuning solenoid? If so just remove it and command it on and off several times to see that it isnt sticking.

kizza50

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim S2
Will your scan tool allow you to command the manifold tuning solenoid? If so just remove it and command it on and off several times to see that it isnt sticking.

Unfortuneatly it doesnt :( anyways been 2 days, and drove 250 kms so far in all driving styles and nothing yet...

metalhead_07

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Calais
P0606

Note: A sticking intake manifold runner control valve or biased mass air flow sensor output may cause this DTC to set.

Otherwise if it keeps happening its the ECM that will need to be replaced.

Is the runner control valve connected to the pcv lines that come off the rocker covers.

My car has shut down 3 times now saying safety mode active and won't restart for about 10 mins. It's throwing the fault code p2004.

You mentioned the ECM could be the problem.. Is this the main engine computer? Or just a computer for the runner control valve.
Thanks woody

Sajid

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VE sv6
Hello, i have encountered the same problem as i was checking my car out on an open road. when i suddenly pressed gas it went for a few meters and went into safety mode and i couldnt rev it even after the speed was 0 and then the check engine light came on. i checked the car with the diagnostic computer and the code P0606 came which is the ecm/pcm fault as it showed. I have read the replies and i dont want to change the ecm and still encounter the problem should i first clean the throttle body and the MAF sensor cause i had changed the air filter to an open cone one with the stock pipe. i also have a faulty thermostat to change is it due to that ?!