Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pandora to be discontinued in Australia

drady

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf R8 Clubsport
Holden should unlock Mylink to be open source to allow custom application

Chookah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Wagon
Lets crowd-fund some Indian software developers to reverse engineer & crack it then.
$100 should get us off to a good start ;)

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Holden should unlock Mylink to be open source to allow custom application
I've not looked into it more than a quick Google 6 months ago, but I thought it was possible to write custom applications?
I could've sworn there was an SDK & some (probably limited) doco for it?

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Customer care response:

Just letting you know that even though Pandora App cannot be removed or hidden from the radio screen, the App can be moved from the home screen to the second page.

Iv highlighted the interesting point in the Customer Care message there...

Yes.. it can be removed/hidden through programming. I worked on this the moment the announcement was made.
Both stitcher (Does anyone use that??) and Pandora can be disabled in the headunit so it no longer displays in the menus. This also means when you plug in your phone, it does not automatically open up either of those apps.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Lets crowd-fund some Indian software developers to reverse engineer & crack it then.
$100 should get us off to a good start ;)
Or... someone a little bit closer to home... ;)
Im working on it slowly. The system is extremely complex so good things take time.

I've not looked into it more than a quick Google 6 months ago, but I thought it was possible to write custom applications?
I could've sworn there was an SDK & some (probably limited) doco for it?

Kinda.. GM released a statement in regards to the 'potential' release of an SDK to selected individuals to make apps. But... nothing has come through yet with that.

The actual OS the Mylink runs on is QNX. Different to 99% of the other GM mylinks which run on something like WINCE.
So QNX is open source.. but.. that doesnt mean GM has to make their system open source for modifications.

The actual firmware can be opened up and looked into. But its completely pointless as none of the changes or modification can actually be saved to the headunit as the units locked down with validation certificates used in most modern digital security.
Think of it like an iphone passcode.. wrong passcode = no entry. Only difference.. is the passcode is infinitely more complex.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
That seems a bit dumb to me.
It's not like the ability to build applications to run on Windows had any negatives for Windows, or the ability to build apps for iPhones exactly hurt iPhone sales ...

CyanPixie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SSV Redline - Slipstream Blue
I have a sneaky suspicion all Holden will do is remove the Pandora app in the next firmware update. Nothing else.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
I have a sneaky suspicion all Holden will do is remove the Pandora app in the next firmware update. Nothing else.
Id hope they can do that. The comment saying " the engineers are working on a solution to remove it" is a bit of a joke. It can be done, easily. But its the same situation as the navigation point of interest (POI) where they so only 2016/17 can have this enabled due to hardware limitations with is a complete lie.

Adza75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
I really loved my Android-powered head unit I installed in my Landcruiser a while back. Any app you want, and works like a phone. Perfect!