Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Park Assist and Drivers side parkers issues

rjp

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice with LS3
Backed the Caprice out of the garage this morning and didn't realise that someone had moved the car trailer..... Ended up drilling the trailer into the rear bumper.

Result; one hole in rear bumper directly under left hand side light.....

Direct Added bonuses; The park assist doesn't work anymore, front or back

Indirect Added Bonuses; Neither the front or rear drivers side parking lights come on. The left hand side both do. I doubt the whack up the rear caused this problem, but I've only just noticed it today.

For both issues, I've checked all fuses and nothing is blown (I swapped all out for known good ones and then replaced the originals).

Any ideas anyone? I won't have a chance to get to a mechanic as I'm about to go interstate for the week.

Cheers

rjp

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice with LS3
I think I've worked out the park assist issue.

The wiring harness for the rear sensors hangs between the rear bumper and the inner reinforcement panel. The harness was directly behind where the trailer whacked the bumper and the impact has mangled a few wires. A few mill either side and the harness would not have been touched.......

Does anyone know how to remove the harness from the sensors? There's plenty of slack in the harness and I can replace the wires easily, I just need to get it off of the sensors.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
The harness simply clips into each sensor.

Should be the same as these...

5522540_20.jpeg

rjp

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice with LS3
Thanks,

Can you get a closer pic of the connectors to the sensors?

I can't actually sight them in the car. I can get to them by hand, but can't work out how to disconnect them sight unseen. Is there a clip or such that needs to be pushed/pulled/slid?

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
From memory a little tab that you push in to release, cant find a better pic.

rjp

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice with LS3
Thanks,

Any idea about the drivers side parkers not working?

rjp

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice with LS3
Couldn't get the plug out of the sensor, so I took the left had side of the bumper off and removed the sensors from their brackets.

Looks like the wiring to the number plate bulbs may be also mashed. Maybe the cause of the right hand side parkers not working? I'll solder everything back together and see what happens....

rjp

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice with LS3
Well that didn't work.....

Soldered everything back together (the two wires to the number plate bulbs were cut in half).

The park assist still doesn't work, neither does the drivers parkers nor the number plate lights. I checked, and there's no power going to the number plate lights.

Is there something that needs to be reset?

I've taken the negative off the battery and I'll see what happens in half an hour.

rjp

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice with LS3
Ok,

Worked out the parkers. There's three fuses for them; one master, one for the left and one for the right. Turns out the right hand fuse was blown. And it also handles the number plate light.

The park assist still doesn't work. I guess that I'll have to keep checking all the other fuses. I reset the head unit (pulled the fuse), but that made no difference.

Anyone got any ideas?

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
If the park wires shorted together the fuse will probably be blown.

Is there any park assist warnings coming up on the dash?