Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Park Assist Issue

Tom.T

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 2 commodore
Hi everyone,

I have a 2015 VFII Commodore. I was using the park assist feature and my car almost hit a parked car. I tried it in an empty space and it parked diagonal. I feel like it could be either one of the sensors or the wheel alignment. Does anyone know how I can go about troubleshooting this issue?

Thanks.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Hi everyone,

I have a 2015 VFII Commodore. I was using the park assist feature and my car almost hit a parked car. I tried it in an empty space and it parked diagonal. I feel like it could be either one of the sensors or the wheel alignment. Does anyone know how I can go about troubleshooting this issue?

Thanks.

have a look at this to make sure you are using it correctly, there are 2 modes parallel and perpendicular.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Seems only parallel and perpendicular parking is supported, either left or right.
Does it do diagonal parking?

Just curious really, thouigh I doubt I'd ever use the feature as i like either me or the AI to be fully in control, not either of us 1/2 in control :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
I’ve had mine park it self diagional within the square bay. But I was fully in the bay so theres no problem. The one time i’ve tried perpendicular parking it went for a space too small and was going to back into the car on the passenger side. What modes were you using?

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I've never used this function in any of my cars, I worry I may scrub a rim, that may be unnecessary worrying but it stops me from trying.

I see from the video you have to stay under 30km/h, which means it won't do this when you need too.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
keep an eye on the center display (the little one on the dash), as you park the car you are meant to stop and use D and R until it gets the park right. every time i've used it it's done a perfect job.

RossK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE11 SV6, VF LPG Evoke
I've used the park assist 3 times in mine, for novelty factor only, but gee it's slow and often misses a park that I could get into.
Yes, you have to pay attention, it does nothing with the brake or accelerator, only controls the steering.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I've never been game enough to use it...

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
keep an eye on the center display (the little one on the dash), as you park the car you are meant to stop and use D and R until it gets the park right. every time i've used it it's done a perfect job.

This.
Too many drivers are fixated by the larger MyLink screen which distorts space and that makes it easy to for an accidental nudge to occur. The central display shows a proximal slug (similar to nav on HUD) for positioning. No brakes or transmission shift is handled by park assist, only steering, and it will cancel out the moment the steering wheel is turned manually. As much as YouTube vids and enthusiasts would have you believe, the best way to park is the way you were trained to when learning to drive. It's not rocket science and certainly not as if the car can do it quicker or more accurately.

Easy takeaway: In the absence of the rear camera working correctly (which I suspect to be the case), just do the whole park manouvre manually, like we were taught to do when we learnt to drive.

I rarely use park assist; can do the whole shebang far quicker using mirrors, looking around and good old experience. I have observed much earlier on that sloped gutters/chicanes are not receognised by the ultrasonic sensors, either because of the angle of the gutters/chicanes or being lower than standard block gutters. This can result in the wheels rising up onto the footpath. PA also does not know where or if there is something directly beneath the car.

If there has been any panel work done where the ultrasonic sensors are, this should be scrutinised. Panels where damage is proximal to the ultrasonic sensor, or sensor(s), plural, must not be repaired, but the entire panel assembly replaced (Holden have a panel repair advisory about this). Any sensor that may have been jarred can also cause errors. More than 3 thin layers of paint on any one sensor will also dull responsiveness (again, this is detailed in the aforementioned advisory from Holden).

Like HUD displays, sit in a VW (Tiguan, Golf, Tourareg) and you'll see a lot of similarities with PA with the Commodore; I think Holden took its cues from VW (along with Audi) because the similarities of operation and display information are quite striking, right up to the centre display on the instrument panel doing exactly the same thing as Holden's. Holden's solitary camera in lower-spec VFs isn't the full, ideal package — handy for reversing/lining up a trailer, but generally a distracting gimmick that is ubiquitous now. Accidents happen when drivers pay more attention to the display than looking around them like they were trained to do! More cameras (which are also linked to other safety features) are better than just one at the rear.

Last edited:

Tom.T

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 2 commodore
Thanks people for your input. When I took the car in for a wheel alignment they did not calibrated the steering wheel. This has to be done on every wheel alignment