Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

PETROL CONSUMPTION - 250km/Full Tank. HELP

What option should I take

• Total voters

ChapSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS VY S2
Hi guys

Bought my '03 VY SS S2 about 2 months ago, very happy with the jump from a 180sx to this (so far)

As I said above, I owned a jap import for over 4 years and wanted something different but for the main purpose of carrying a trail bike, so forgive me because my V8 / commodore knowledge is pretty non existent in general

Anyway. I bought the ute with a bit of work done to it - big cam, MAFless tune (280kw) straight pipe exhaust and dumped on its guts.

I'm now thinking of selling and downgrading heavily because at the moment here's what I'm forking out for fuel (98 because its tuned)

- city: 220-250km/tank
- freeway: 400km/tank

Don't get me wrong, I knew that owning a V8 is essentially like agreeing to have your bank account raped weekly, however I think common sense tells me it's using a little(or a large amount) too much

Option
A) retune
B) retune and have the cam removed (obviously big $$$$)
C) sell the bloody thing

From experience or knowledge, what would you reccommend?

Also, who is a good tuner that won't blow up my engine?

Thanks for reading my essay!

Cheers

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
Go the retune. I just had mine tuned a while ago and it's heavy on fuel as well, prob about 550km from a tank mostly highway. I've decided to get a retune to help highway fuel usage, note, mine has standard cam. It may be worth changing o2 sensors also, it could be running rich.

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
big cam, MAFless tune (280kw) straight pipe exhaust and dumped on its guts.

Sell it. The cam is why its using bulk fuel, and who buys a lowered car to tow???

jokerflingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VY SS 2003 - 6 Speed Manual
My VY SS averages over 400km/tank, usually 15litre per hundred and thats at a shitty 40km/h average, cammed, lowered, loves towing my dirtbike.

8.9 on the highway too :)

Sell it. The cam is why its using bulk fuel, and who buys a lowered car to tow???

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
what cam u have in it..? either get a new cam if its built for top end which u done need for towing, or get a propper retune at a known good tuner, i have mine with a decent cam and a blower and my fuel consumption isnt that bad so something need looking at...

Futech

Like a boss
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7
Ok your towing a trail bike on trailer so what we talking 300-400kg? That's #### all and your engine will barely be affected. What stage cam have you got in there? Who did the tune? When your tank is on empty how many litres does it take to fill? I am assuming that your not towing your trail bike everywhere so to me you have an issue. Check what the O2 sensors are doing. Full rich? Whats your STFT and LTFT % at? How is the car running in general? Answer these questions and i can point you in the right direction. There's no point selling it if you havent tried fixing the problem as it may be something simple and cheap.