Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Photos Police Unmarked Magna... Beware... Photos

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by holden#1, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jesk

Jesk registered lunatic

Members Ride:
    96 ef2 fairmont
    Hey guys this thread is about to become a slug-fest at each other so before it gets shut down ill get my two cents in:

the 17 y/o's do have some advantage to saying about the liscencing system because they are the most recent through it, and its changed heaps recently, at least in SA so unless some of the older people study the new liscencing system or are infact driving instructors themselves the 17 y/o's may hold the upper hand in that area (also a lot were saying that it needed to be harder yet they were getting back at them you're 17 wtf do you know?).

But im 20 as it shows and i have lost 7 demerit points off my liscence so i know i haven't always been a model driver but 3 demerit pts were a dodgy red light call when the intersection was totally crapped up with cops everywhere and crashed cars, but hey i dunno, 1 point for speeding but that was cos the speedo was out on the car, but the 3 for failure to give way which caused me to hit another car that really made me sit up and not over-rate my driving ability. Though it was a quite expensive exercise (wrote off dads work van) it makes you take a realistic look at driving ability (when youre on cloud 9 before from just being on your P's)

But anyway isn't this thread about the hidden cop cars for the cameras, personally i think that is revenue raising cos yeah people shouldn't be speeding, and i think if these cars were made blatently obvious you would get people slowing down, but i think drivers are just becoming less attuned to other people and just looking out for number one, but thats coming from a 20 y/o male who lives in SA the road rage state, and is about to move to mt gambier (the home of the feral driver)

2. Stretcher Bearer

Stretcher Bearer A.R.N.G.

Members Ride:
    VT2 SOCOG Exec 9C1
    Unmarked cars work because drivers only behave when they see a marked deterrent.

You gotta behave all the time, not just when you believe your gonna get caught for doing something dodgy.

Don't worry about what car is a cop car. Keep going and worry you don't end up in mine!
    [​IMG]

3. czerwonyVN

czerwonyVN New Member

Members Ride:
    VN 3.8 A4
    i like this guy.

4. Julie

Julie moderator- for now anyway

Members Ride:
    Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
    I reckon if some of these idiots were to take a ride in you ambo it might knock some sense into them. Maybe along with the fines and demerit points they should have to see the potential consequences of their behaviour. The other side of the fence is not pretty. U ambos and coppers have my respect, u have to deal with the stuff none of us want to think about on a daily basis.

5. Jesk

Jesk registered lunatic

Members Ride:
    96 ef2 fairmont
    yeah you speak sense too but there is never gonna be a decent medium

6. luvmycommodore

luvmycommodore Mum's Taxi *sigh*

Members Ride:
    '02 VXII Acclaim Wagon
    Here here! And driving past a fatal on my way home the other week was pretty sobering too.

7. I live just near an Ambo Base...get to hear them at all times of the day/night...and I am less than 1 K from the freeway....get to hear Impacts, tooo...........every time I hear 1, I think.."Another car accident..."......my hat off to all the Ambos etc.......

8. holden#1

holden#1 New Member

Members Ride:
    VS S1 Executive V6
    i'm not into slagging cops. they do a great job.
    in some cases i have found them to be a little overzealous.
    i did not start this thread so that everyone can join in slagging the cops.
    we have speed limits, traffic laws as it would be chaos without them.
    regarding speed limits, there has to be a boundary somewhere. even if the conditions are good, the road is straight, it may be safe to travel at 130kph or more (depending on car) but it would not be a good idea to let everyone have this discretionary power.
    i.e, the Bruce Hwy in Qld four lane section between Caboolture & Cooroy is actually engineered to be travelled at speeds of 160kph.
    the speed limit has been capped at 110kph to keep uniformity & to fit in with the type of cars we have here in aus. (not everone has BMW etc)
    I STARTED THIS THREAD ONLY AS A MATTER OF INTEREST TO SEE IF ANYONE HAS PHOTOS OF UNMARKED COP CARS.
    ever time you speed or disobey traffic laws you are gambling with your life and licence. in some cases, you may think the odds are ok. (out west or something), as long as your discretionary powers are good, well, it happens!!!

1 person likes this.
  9. walesy

walesy Aint no family cruiser!!!

Members Ride:
    Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
    peoples in the beenleigh area watch out for a white toyota camry, got pulled over 20mins ago couldnt believe they were in a camry!? said he pulled me over for a random breath test! i was going grany style past maccas on a monday morning? was it really nesicary?

10. vh-holden

vh-holden New Member

Members Ride:
    VS sedan and a VK DRGWGN
    oh no, not a white camry!!!!!

i'm not going to even try to guess how many white camrys are on the road.

11. walesy

walesy Aint no family cruiser!!!

Members Ride:
    Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
    well oviously if u see one it might be a coppa.. no need to be a smart ass

12. azkwazere

azkwazere Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....

Members Ride:
    VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
    Hmmmm appears this thread has caused a few differences of opinions. THought id just state the obvious.

aZk.

13. Settle down......................

14. Cal.oz

Cal.oz New Member

Members Ride:
    Nissan Pathfinder

15. Julie

Members Ride:
    Oh deary me here we go again. The age issue..... What I was refering to was the actual licencing process. Now a 17 year old may have driven 1 million kms in their short time of driving, or spent 5000 driving hours. And a 35 year old may have only done 500 km and 5 hours driving. It has nothing to do with what I am on about in this instance. A 17 year old has experienced the current licencing system only and has had nothing to compare it to, so how, with no experience or prior knowledge can they assess how well the system is working?

And on the 'just because you are older doesn't mean you can drive better' note. Statistics would prove otherwise. There are exceptions to the rule of course, there will always be some really bad drivers at any age and then there will be exceptional teenage drivers. But generally speaking on an average older drivers are better, why do you think all these young fellas pay such high insurance premiums?

16. Cal.oz

Cal.oz New Member

Members Ride:
    Nissan Pathfinder
    Its a fair bit harder to get your licence these days than it was 10 years ago.
    True a 17 year old wouldnt know what the testing was like, my olds tell me they went to the cop shop, drove down the road and back and they got their licence, now you cant argue that it isnt more difficult to get your licence now than then

Testing should be compulsary every 5 years no matter what your ages, or driving record

17. I agree, mate....... and I reckon a hell of a lot of people would be struggling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. Julie

Members Ride:
    Im with you on that, every 5-10 years would be ideal. So many rules have changed since a lot of old folk got their licence. Eg the indicating at roundabouts. Only people I see doing that correctly are learners and a few p platers a lot of the older drivers use the old method which is now illegal.

19. Shounak

Shounak The Kicking Horse

Members Ride:
    VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
    Which older method?

A driving test costs about $50, not to mention the hassle of booking one in. Compulsory testing would mean a lot more people take a driving test at any given point of time, so times would be more inflexible (then they already are!!).

1. People would think it's a waste of their money and just a revenue raising exercise for the state governments..
    2. People may not be confident they'd always pass and therefore object
    3. It may be too inconvenient for a lot of people..

Practicality aside, I agree with it entirely. I'd love it if mandatory license testing on a regular basis existed. However, it just isn't feasible.. Licensing authorities would be testing MILLIONS of drivers every few years..

Can you honestly see it happening?

20. Julie

Members Ride:
    Nope I can't see it ever happening for those exact reasons and more.

In nsw the rules with the roundabouts go that you have to indicate left just before you make your exit on the roundabout. So whereas the old rules were if u were going straight ahead you didn't need to indicate you do now or if you are turning right before you make your exit you indicate left. Not sure how its done in other states but this is how they do it here, its something thats only come in sometime during the last 10 years I think. I remember many years ago there was an ad campaign run so all motorists would know, and everyone with a licence was sent out a leaflet with the changes. About 1 in 100 people around here actually follow those rules lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.