Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

plenum spacer/s, are they worth it?

some_guy

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SII Exec.
i followed it up with

"not my car, not my choice"

Of course no one is making me, hence why i said the idea of putting something like that on my car is uncomfortable.

What are you attempting to prove here lol.

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
You don't like them - you've already come to the conclusion that they don't work without even trying the product.

I for one actually had a set on my VY - the fuel savings alone were worth it and the added low to midrange torque was great.
The manifold spacer seemed to do the most torque wise whereas the plenum spacer didn't add much of a difference at all for me except for fuel economy. With my experience I noticed peak power dropped but usable torque was gained from about 2500 - 4000rpm or so - pretty much where I used to drive. There was a marginal boost down low but I didn't notice much because of my cam at the time.

MACE

Reaction score
Oh no, not someone asking valid questions about maces product testing!
What has this world come too.
Personally. i find the idea of having, what looks like a piece of mdf wood (i know it isn't but it sure as hell looks it) sitting near my engine, somewhat uncomfortable
Oh well, not my car so not my choice.
And HERONVY stop trying to be a hero.
I don’t think that asking valid questions was the problem, which I did the best I could to answer them here respectfully; which is congruent with how I always answer them with customers on JC, over the phone, emails etc. Obviously we're not a perfect company with unlimited resources so we do make mistakes, just like anyone else, and we don't make everyone happy, we don't fulfill everyone's needs/requirements etc. To a lot of people this is common sense.

However if people have “un honourable” intentions with their questions, then one can see how that’s a problem naturally.

At the end of the day though if people have any issues with us for what ever reason, please feel free to contact us direct. I'll genuinely do the best I can to help. A lot of time can potentially be saved with this approach

Last edited:

some_guy

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SII Exec.
Show me the part where I said that don't work.

Just saying i wouldn't want it in my care, never commented on its results.

I'm also trying to stop old mate from stupidly thinking he's going to stop Sabbath asking relevant questions.

Please read before you reply next time.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Show me the part where I said that don't work.

Just saying i wouldn't want it in my care, never commented on its results.

I'm also trying to stop old mate from stupidly thinking he's going to stop Sabbath asking relevant questions.

Please read before you reply next time.

Sab has already been stopped from doing anything on JC though :p

Customcreations

PORTED GETS IT SORTED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore V6 EcoTech Custom Ported by me
of course that makes it "not stock". what did you port? heads? intake manifold?

ps. its ecotec, no H.

I Ported the heads (runners mildly, exhaust not so mildly but not stupidly either and match ported the intake manifold), modified the extractors (which consisted of re-welding it externally around the pipes to the bolt on plate at port end and cleaned it out inside where the original welding was done so as to get a better flow (better flow by die grinding the internal welds away which were sloppy and restrictive). Cut off the 1.75" section at the flange end as the 3 into 1 section was rough as guts internally wich allowed me to get access there and die grind the burrs, then replaced that section with 2" pipe. (where the Co2 sensors are just to give a clear picture). manufactured the Y-piece from scratch with 2" pipe which then joins into the 3" high flow cat at end of Y-peice. the rest is 2.5" with a genie straight through before the diff bend and nothing else but the twin tip to finish it off. Sounds great and goes great. Cost all up including the extractors which were second hand but near new and high flow 3" cat which was stainless and second hand off a WRX around $350. Next time I will make my extractors from scratch as they were $250 and I wasn't happy with the quality (The brand was HItech headers). AT least I got the CAT for $10 which was in perfect nic and the twin tip and genie straight through wasnt much either.
. Sorry about the incorrect "incorrect" grammar. I know its ecotec but always end up putting the h at the end without thinking. Seeing as
Eco"nomy" tec"h"nology is there slant on holdens brand name for the Ecotec. Twin tip was a good quality tip I welded on. Not the bolt on type. Am now nearly finished with conversion to manual gearbox. I am looking forward to road testing it as I know the Auto was holding the power back at take off till it got to
2000-2200 revs. Not that it was lacking from Idle eaither.
I would have finished it today but decided to use my 6 bolt, series 1 flywheel instead of the 8 bolt flywheel as it is heaps lighter than the VS flywheel/ 8 bolt flywheel. Obviously had to make up an adaptor for it so I was busy making that today on the lathe. It (the adaptor from 6 to 8 bolt) is nearly finished, just need to drill the last few holes. Making it myself and using the 6 bolt flywheel is heaps cheaper than buying it ready to fit. I think I saw a price at around $350 including the flyheel. I only paid about $50 or less for my 6 bolt F/W. It's like putting on an aftermarket performance light weight flywheel but for nearly gratis. (unless you add up the man hours)

Customcreations

PORTED GETS IT SORTED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore V6 EcoTech Custom Ported by me
I have a stock ecotech in a VS. Well except for the porting I did to it and the exrtractors and 2.5"
Does that make it not stock:hmmm: If mace wants to throw a spacer my way I'd be happy to volunteer my car for at test:yeah:

I see there was no response to getting one thrown my way.
Thats OK I'll just have to buy it instead.

I do have a query though. I was reading the item description on your website and reminding myself of the prices for the 12mm + 12mm (incase that seems confusing to some readers, I mean the 12mm plennum spacer and the 12mm intake manifold spacer).
What is the better way to go? 12mm PLNM + 12mm INTAKE OR 25mm INTAKE without the PLENNUM spacer. Or both at 25. I realize and know about the bonnet clearance issue after 25mm But can work around it IF I decide to go for the 2 25's.
I am probably not going to be able to afford the 2 YET! but am wondering If I should just get 12mm Intake Spacer and maybe later the 12mm Plennum spacer. I could squeeze the cost of the 25mm Intake spacer but then would most likely not get the plennum spacer at all or at least not for quite some time. Sorry about the big essay and hope it's clear enough.

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
I see there was no response to getting one thrown my way.
Thats OK I'll just have to buy it instead.

I do have a query though. I was reading the item description on your website and reminding myself of the prices for the 12mm + 12mm (incase that seems confusing to some readers, I mean the 12mm plennum spacer and the 12mm intake manifold spacer).
What is the better way to go? 12mm PLNM + 12mm INTAKE OR 25mm INTAKE without the PLENNUM spacer. Or both at 25. I realize and know about the bonnet clearance issue after 25mm But can work around it IF I decide to go for the 2 25's.
I am probably not going to be able to afford the 2 YET! but am wondering If I should just get 12mm Intake Spacer and maybe later the 12mm Plennum spacer. I could squeeze the cost of the 25mm Intake spacer but then would most likely not get the plennum spacer at all or at least not for quite some time. Sorry about the big essay and hope it's clear enough.

On the site is says 25mm manifold spacer and 12mm plenum spacer for an N/A motor. Opposite for forced induction.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Without wanting to get into the whole yes/no argument, and not defending Sabbaths attitude here, I do agree with him that if you are selling a product, you kind of need to provide facts and figures that fit your particular product in the application you are advertising it as being suited to.

I'm assuming, and its only an assumption based on the statements by Sabbath, that no such facts or figures have been made available.

Even if this is only a few simple dyno charts with before and after figures on it, that would be useful for marketing purposes surely? If you feel it has more benefit in combination with other mods as well, then additional facts to show those improvements would be useful?

I assume when you design these parts to create various effects and improvements, you test them in some way? Perhaps those figures could be made available. I realise the theoretical parts can be proven, but I could redesign a plenum chamber to change the gas flow according to known and accepted theories, but make it worse in the attempt too (since of course I know nothing about it and have no means of testing any changes I make).

It would make good marketing sense to prove that your mods actually have the desired effect. Eventually word of mouth and endorsements just arent enough.

vxcp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Equipe
That FB link you provided shows no record of him making numerous runs, so we have to assume that he made one. And therefore we have to assume that it has the maximum amount of error in it.

Interestingly from that forum:

Also interesting to note that he has a tune, and complaints about his AFR values after the fitment.

It would be nice to see some graphs from a standard car that MACE did inhouse yourselves. Surely you got some stock standard cars in (Ecotec) and tested your product that you can show people who do this as a first mod based on your graphs xyz gains occur?

Im going to leave this matter here for now, but i certainly feel that for the OP, more questions than answers have been created.

Reading this topic was a lot of fun and at the same time irritated me, Mace has the proof they improve your cars performance but u still doubt him and if u look of the MACE part in these forums ull be able to read about peoples experience and input about MACE's products in general. I myself have a vx commodore and brought the spacers 12mm plenum spacer and 25 mm manifold spacer felt the difference in fuel economy was great as for torque there was a big noticeable gain i was amazed its a good mod and i recommend it, however if ur looking for power out of these then dont bother they will probably give u 1 kw or less but if ur car is slow off the mark then these are for you.

My dyno run b4 and after spacers, massive boost in torque. No its not dead standard it has twin 2.5 exhaust, pacemakers, high flow cats, spacers and CAI and ''NO TUNE''....would of got more if i had a single exhaust system though =(

HX75k.jpg