Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pod Air filter tests .... interesting

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Ok so basically what your saying is ... choice on a budget would be the 3A racing, and the choice with a higher budget would be the k&n ?

And I guess there is the point of whether the car could even intake 579.6 gcfm anyways ... which if it could not, would definitely make k&n the winner just due to the filtration.

Why not simply not buy pod filters......you have a commodore not a ricer

A good quality panel filter (e.g K&N, Lukey etc) will always be best for a holden.

And best of all they are legal!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The primary job of the air filter is as the name implies, to filter the air. If you wanted to do a real test you would have used a standard paper type element filter as a base line example for both flow and filtration ability. I'd suggest that the standard paper type filter would be even more efficient in filtration at the cost of flow, I personally wouldn't be keen on getting any more particulate matter into the engine than is absolutely necessary. The flow figure is fairly much irrelevant because you use the filter that will flow enough to satisfy the CFM requirement of the engine (Here K&N have a huge range to suit almost any type/application/configuration) with a little extra capacity on top because the filter will obviously flow less once it gets dirty.

Cost shouldn't be the primary/only factor when purchasing a product, you should purchase the product that best does the job you require that falls within your budget.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Why not simply not buy pod filters......you have a commodore not a ricer

A good quality panel filter will always be best for a holden.

And best of all they are legal!

I dis-agree.

I've tried various intake solutions on an N/A commodore and an in closed POD filter generally outperforms the standard OEM air box even when fitted with a K/N panel filter and CAI (Super 6). POD filters are also legal if they are properly mounted and enclosed.

I did various back to back tests with the above mentioned intakes noticing improvements in throttle response and reduction in intake temps when using a enclosed POD filter (in this case the MACE set up). Tests and results are in another thread somewhere here on the forum for all to see. On another vehicle I did the same with a home made enclosed POD filter (K&N) with similar results.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various

Worth a watch

Last edited by a moderator:

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Just watched the link above. You'll note that I mention "enclosed POD filter", in the link above they used an exposed POD filter at the back of the engine bay, I'm not surprised that it lost power sucking in hot air from the engine bay. It would be interesting to see the stock intake on that little 1.3 after a few power runs, I bet it would loose power too as the heat soak from the engine gets into that cold air intake system.

You'll note in my posts above I mentioned improvements in air intake temps (measured using the air intake sensor fitted in the car and what the PCM uses to adjust engine timing) and improvements in throttle response. These are real world improvements as the testing was done on the road, in traffic and not on a static dyno........

If you care to have a look at lets say the VS ecotec tune, the Spark advance Vs Air Intake table you'll note that the tune is based on 22 degrees C air intake temp, once the air temps get above this the PCM starts to pull out ignition timing depending on load. at 46 degree C your loosing between 2.8 degrees to 5.27 degrees timing depending on load. This is why I keep going on about minimising air intake temps as there are real world gains to be found.

As mentioned earlier, all this testing is done with brand new filters, a clean filter should flow more (if spec'd correctly) than the engine CFM requirements so there should be no difference in power output, now testing with dirty filters would be a LOT more interesting as this is what 99% of vehicles actually have.......

Another interesting test would be to use a water gauge across the air intake system as this would be a better way to see if the various intake types show much of a pressure drop and there for restriction.

Another test that should be carried out with the various intakes would be a engine acceleration rate test as this would show improvements on instant flow or what the driver of the vehicle would notice as throttle response.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON