Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pod Filters?

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
If done properly, a boxed pod fitler will out perform a modified factory air filter assembly no problems. If you want an EPA freindly filter best to get a SAAS item which can be run oilless as used in all of our kits. Also MAF safe as well, important if you have a VSIII or a VTI ;)

Cost to performance ratio tho......

To have a custom box bad to suit the pod will cost hundreds.
Standard holden CAI and KnN filter can be had for $100

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I run the same setup as just about everyone else, just a big pipe from the front bar to the standard airbox, pretty much non improvable in real world performance. You need to run a good filter for all the crap you suck up in it but apart from that it's full of win, The air pressure on the front bar is enough to cancel out a good filter anyway

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
lol greenfoam, you're not wrong about the crap you suck up :p I buy a new filter every few months when I drive regularly.

vncruzr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY LS1
agree with greenfoam, best CAI i ever had cost me 20bucks from Bunnings!!!! As for oiled filters, yeah i found they cost a penny and all they did was oil up my air flow meters. I think you can google test results on different filters and i tell you what there's nothing wrong with the old delco from Holden!!!

MACE

Reaction score
Cost to performance ratio tho......

To have a custom box bad to suit the pod will cost hundreds.
Standard holden CAI and KnN filter can be had for $100

Not if you make the box yourself ;) I can can guarantee that it will work better then any modded factory box ever would, given the air flow characteristics of the pod filter vs the panel filter assembly.

Sadly pod filters have been given a bad name because most often people just install them without making any sort of effcient enclosure :(

I mean honestly how many people here have actually run an efficient pod setup on their 5L before?

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I've seen a few around at the drags, there's also a few guys on here with enclosed pods but non of them are making any better time that I am with a panel filter. The majority of 5 litres in Melbourne run a 100mm pipe under the car much like this one joined to either a panel in a sealed box of pod in a sealed box, the filter itself doesn't seem to be worth any real pace. The pipe is for sure YouTube - White statesman burnout at Easternats 2009 That cars actually a mild stroker with a home made manifold but still that's how most serious guys run them some guys even run 2 pipes aka circuit racer style one each side of the car for the awesome induction sound :)

calaiscruzer

I drink beer, and I vote!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Atlas Grey VN SS
We need a whole section "FAQ on Pod filters"
But I do miss the throaty sound(not sucking sound) or a good pod.
Thhhrrrrrrooooooooppp

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Not if you make the box yourself ;) I can can guarantee that it will work better then any modded factory box ever would, given the air flow characteristics of the pod filter vs the panel filter assembly.

I mean honestly how many people here have actually run an efficient pod setup on their 5L before?

don't know about the humble 5L, but my POD setup is about as good as it gets on a V6 and would be very easy to mod to suit the V8 setup.

i a gree with greenfoam however, when it comes the CAI (and no standard/POD filter works properly without one) that the 100mm ducted pipe coming up from under the gaurd is a winner

I've seen a few around at the drags, there's also a few guys on here with enclosed pods but non of them are making any better time that I am with a panel filter. :)

come on now Foam, your car (and you) are a freak of nature and i'm sure your car has more "tricks" under the bonnet then most that help those times you get.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
i a gree with greenfoam however, when it comes the CAI (and no standard/POD filter works properly without one) that the 100mm ducted pipe coming up from under the gaurd is a winner

come on now Foam, your car (and you) are a freak of nature and i'm sure your car has more "tricks" under the bonnet then most that help those times you get.

I've had alot of people question the car lately especaily since that new exhaust has been on it from people both on the net and that I've taken for a ride that the car has more work done to it than I say it does, but really everything from the radiator to the header flanges to the top of the manifold to the gearbox is 100% stock and worn out, pretty much everything outside that box is not. Lots and lots of little things, almost everything has been off the car at some stage and nothing has gone back on without some kind of tweak/smoothen or polish up, it all adds up