Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pod Filters?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
ram is is when the vehicle is moving at a very high speed and this forces the air into the intake and the reason for having a CAI at the front of the vehicle.

POD refers to the type of filter, normally a cone or cylinder shaped filter Vs the standard panel filter found in most modern EFI engine bays

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
I still run the standard Ryco filter, and always will. That way I don't feel bad about throwing it away every few months - the front bumper CAI makes those filters dirty :)

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I just run a realy restricive looking paper filter too most of the time, I also have a twin oiled foam panel and a K&N (only use this one at the drags and is removed again before i leave the track) there time to be gained on the almost see through KN compared to the bit thick paper one but it's such a small amount of time that you can only messure it on the track (way less than half a tenth) so paper is good enough for daily use

MACE

Reaction score
In regards to the 100mm pipe is that feed directly underneath the air box through a hole in the skirt/bodywork? If so then it would probably be compareable to the pod setup up based on testing we've done.

If you take out the headlight though (for competition use) then you will fine that the pod/box setup will excell given that it's getting it's air from a higher pressure region of the car, in addition to being more direct in flow, as opposed to the bottom of the bumper.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Not everyone runs them through the body, I do. It's slightly dodgy I guess but HSV were doing it at one stage too. There's not alot of room to go eleswhere, but Morton did manage to rearange some stuff at the bottom of his car and ran one without cutting anything

MACE

Reaction score
Not everyone runs them through the body, I do. It's slightly dodgy I guess but HSV were doing it at one stage too. There's not alot of room to go eleswhere, but Morton did manage to rearange some stuff at the bottom of his car and ran one without cutting anything

I imagine that it can be done but it but the way you've done it works better though as the air flow into the box is pretty much perpendicular to the panel filter (ideal for a panel filter), with minimal bends and reducers in the process.

In regards HSV doing similar mods at one stage you wouldn't happen to know which model?

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
I imagine that it can be done but it but the way you've done it works better though as the air flow into the box is pretty much perpendicular to the panel filter (ideal for a panel filter), with minimal bends and reducers in the process.

In regards HSV doing similar mods at one stage you wouldn't happen to know which model?
They did it with the early VN's.