Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Possible Speeding fine. Is it worth fighting?

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
To UFO, yeah mate, stock wheels and correct fitment of tyres on Mazda, first thing I checked.
I also 'had' a VT that was spot on at 60kph to a GPS. This was checked several times over a year. Even went through a cop radar with the needle exactly on 70. When I received the fine, It said I was doing 70 in a 60 limit.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
it's all done with this new fangled thing called computers. If i could be arsed, I'd put the GPS on the dash and take pictures.... but it's way too much frigging around to prove a minor point.
Here's mine just to show I'm not a forum hero talking **** :thumbsup:

img1543medium.jpg

img1541medium.jpg

img1544medium.jpg

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
A for effort StoneX :clap:

Clearly shows that error is % based and not static.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
ADR 18/03: The speedo has to read within 1% + 4km/h of the true speed of the vehicle. The speedo reading can not be more than the true speed.

So, eg: if your speedo says 50km/h, your true speed can not be less than 45.5km/h.

The real story behind the speedo being out:

Manufacturers will build a tolerance into the speedo to be close to the ADR allowance so that the vehicle will get it's stated fuel economy. Less speed = less RPM = better fuel economy. Any vehicle will use less fuel travelling at 95km/h than it will at 100km/h. (In top gear). To achieve (or better) the stated fuel economy, drivers sit on a speed indicated by the speedo, but in actual fact they are doing less than the stated speed, so are using less fuel.

To the OP, cameras are calibrated all the time, so what you experienced was either a test or calibration.

hardcore90

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SV6 Manual
Thanks for all replies. Just to update everyone, i have still not recieved anything so fingers crossed.

Shorty33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega sedan 3.0 2010
StoneX, I commend your effort to advance this discussion by adding some factual material: thankyou.

Ghost

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore berlina Sedan 1996
Hardcore90 get back to us by 9th of march if it hasnt turned up by then it never will like I said it may have tagged someone further back or even on the other side of the road

hardcore90

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SV6 Manual
Just thought i would update this thread I have not received anything in the mail. So it all worked out in the end.

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
Driving home late one night a camera that catches red light runners at an intersection pinged me going through a green light.
I thought whats going on. Thats Bull#@%! So I turned around and it did it again going the other way. And again when I turned around to head home again.

Got 3 fines...

why would you keep driving through it?

Here's mine just to show I'm not a forum hero talking **** :thumbsup:

lucky you didn't get fined for taking a photo of your phone while driving