Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power Steering Oil Change?

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
haha get a new mechanic lol

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
So you may as well just drain half your engine oil as well, itll still be fresh right?

OMG do you know the difference on what their jobs are and the environment they perform in?
I spose by your reckoning we should not even bother changing engine oil, you may not get the last 50ml out of the heads so just rebuild the motor, what about when you service an auto trans, with 1.5litres still in the converter do you pull the whole box and converter out just to change every drop of oil, Jesus man apples for apples please....

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
lol you're a retard.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Retard I may be but I'm not the peanut wasting 4litres of tranny fluid in my power steering.

Joey24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Hey Ricey,

i went to the Autopro and they keep the Dexron VI in two brands being the Penrite ATF Dexron VI which is a semi-syntthetic oil and the Nulon full synthetic dexron vi in a gold bottle. What would you recommend the Penrite or the Nulon given it is full synthetic. Also what oil do you use?

Also, I noticed that there is two pipes one sitting a bit higher on the tank than the other one of which both pipes are on the same side. Which one is the inlet pipe?

I appreciate your help. thanks

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Fully synth is always better but not neccessary.

Engine oil we use Castrol Magnatec 10/30 at work for the VEs.

Inlet pipe should be the one at the front

Joey24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Thanks Ricey, i appreciate your advice.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
No problem.

VEV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina 6L
......changing the fluid has never ever been done by any mechanic that I have ever been to,and no mechanic has ever said to have it done,.....what the hell?

I agree. In 35 years of owning cars (some new, some old) I have never had the need to change power steering fluid and never have I had any steering issues. I mean...ever. Albeit, I've never kept a car longer than 5 years. It's not like every car I've owned has this magic super duper fluid in it either. But I guess if people want to keep the steering components in new shape for the (second) next owner, then go for it.

I've seen it on the invoice as being checked, but never replaced and I've never had a dodgy mechanic for my cars either. Trucks yes, but not my cars.

Changing P/S fluid when it's clearly not needed or engine oil every 5000ks is purely just for the benefit of the next, next owners and a waste of money IMO.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
I agree. In 35 years of owning cars (some new, some old) I have never had the need to change power steering fluid and never have I had any steering issues. I mean...ever. Albeit, I've never kept a car longer than 5 years. It's not like every car I've owned has this magic super duper fluid in it either. But I guess if people want to keep the steering components in new shape for the (second) next owner, then go for it.

I've seen it on the invoice as being checked, but never replaced and I've never had a dodgy mechanic for my cars either. Trucks yes, but not my cars.

Changing P/S fluid when it's clearly not needed or engine oil every 5000ks is purely just for the benefit of the next, next owners and a waste of money IMO.

Yes, in your opinion. An opinion that has no professional experience or in depth knowledge on these lubricants and how they break down over time resulting in a reduced lubricating capability and the effect on the components they lubricate. Or the fact that metal components wear over time and the fluid carrys these tiny metal particles around with it in effect becoming an abrasive as well as a lubricant.

Nobody said you should change it when its clearly not needed either. Discolouration or a burnt smell is a clear indication that its time to renew the power steering fluid.

But yes you are entitled to voice an opinion which you have done.