Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power Steering Oil Change?

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
I think I'll continue to change mine regularly - 3 power steer pumps in 5 years on my old ute indicates it's necessary (listened to advice in NOT changing it). And before anyone claims circle-work was the cause, (like the first bloke who swapped it) it wasn't!

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Heat will kill them just like a transmission, FWIW you can get inline filters and coolers for the steering pump.

VEV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina 6L
Yes, in your opinion. An opinion that has no professional experience or in depth knowledge...

"In depth knowledge"? How much more knowledge do I need mate. 35 years...10 cars...10 trucks is my knowledge. I've never had to (nor have I been advised to) change fluid in 35 years. Have I been lucky that every car and truck that I've ever owned has never needed changing and every mechanic that I have hired have been idiots? That's really not likely.

But yes you are entitled to voice an opinion which you have done.
Thankyou but you can argue opinions but you can't argue facts. Mate I don't want to turn this into a sh!t fight. I said "IMO" just to be civil. Truth is, it's fact.....for me.

Cheers

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Inlet pipe should be the one at the front

Is that your professional opinion?

Inlet to the pump would be the low pressure pipe, outlet pipe would the high pressure pipe.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
"In depth knowledge"? How much more knowledge do I need mate. 35 years...10 cars...10 trucks is my knowledge. I've never had to (nor have I been advised to) change fluid in 35 years. Have I been lucky that every car and truck that I've ever owned has never needed changing and every mechanic that I have hired have been idiots? That's really not likely.

Thankyou but you can argue opinions but you can't argue facts. Mate I don't want to turn this into a sh!t fight. I said "IMO" just to be civil. Truth is, it's fact.....for me.

Cheers

The irony of you using the word fact.

Fact: Auto trans fluid breaks down over time and becomes less effective at doings its job

Fact: Metal components wear and the fluid carries these metal fragments all through your steering system.

Fact: Preventative maintenance is cheaper than replacing components.

Did the cars you owned even have power steering? Do you realise that changing the power steering fluid is part of certain services on a lot of vehicles? So it could have been done and you didnt even realise?

People have driven cars without changing the oil for years and the engine hasnt failed. Does that mean its a good practise? Sure, if youre a retard.

But go ahead and keep ignoring the logical path of preventative maintenance, your luck will run out one day.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Is that your professional opinion?

Inlet to the pump would be the low pressure pipe, outlet pipe would the high pressure pipe.

Ask GM Global Service Information, thats where I get my info from as does every other GM dealer in the world.

And its the inlet to the tank, not the pump that we are discussing.

Tim_in_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 SX6 Adventra

Fact: Auto trans fluid breaks down over time and becomes less effective at doings its job

Fact: Metal components wear and the fluid carries these metal fragments all through your steering system.

Did the cars you owned even have power steering? Do you realise that changing the power steering fluid is part of certain services on a lot of vehicles? So it could have been done and you didnt even realise?

People have driven cars without changing the oil for years and the engine hasnt failed. Does that mean its a good practise? Sure, if youre a retard.

But go ahead and keep ignoring the logical path of preventative maintenance, your luck will run out one day.

Ricey you nailed it with the term "Preventative Maintenance", Half of the commodore world would not know what that means, except for those who get under the cars of choice on a regular basis. I am quiet happy working offshore and letting my missus tear up the suburbs in our 06 Adventra. Yet every time I am home all the oils in everything get binned and the fresh stuff goes in. Some times even less than 6000ks goes on the clock. Some of you may think im mad and its a waste of products, but I tell you its "Preventative maintenance" or "cheap Insurance" as my mechanic tells me.........

VEV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina 6L

Did the cars you owned even have power steering? Do you realise that changing the power steering fluid is part of certain services on a lot of vehicles? So it could have been done and you didnt even realise? People have driven cars without changing the oil for years and the engine hasnt failed. Does that mean its a good practise? Sure, if youre a retard.

"Preventative maintenance is cheaper".... Mate how much cheaper can $0 be LOL? If my luck runs out now and I had to replace a P/S pump on one of the cars & trucks I own now, then so be it. One truck has just hit 420,000klm. Christ mate! One pump in 35 years? Yeah that would break me for sure.

I'll say it one more time because I don't think you got it the first time.... FLUID HAS NEVER BEEN CHANGED and I've never in 35 years replaced a pump or had to replace a steering component due to fluid contamination. AND I've re-sold 2 cars to relatives and they have never had to replace components. Seriously, if you think I'm going to spend the rest of the week explaining myself to a person that suggests I'm a retard, you're wrong.

Do you and me a favour and don't reply to this. You are getting anal and your argument is expletive. I respect your opinion, be adult and respect mine.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Ask GM Global Service Information, thats where I get my info from as does every other GM dealer in the world.

And its the inlet to the tank, not the pump that we are discussing.

OP asked which pipe you were referring to
Hey Ricey,

Also, I noticed that there is two pipes one sitting a bit higher on the tank than the other one of which both pipes are on the same side. Which one is the inlet pipe?

I appreciate your help. thanks

and your reply was
Inlet pipe should be the one at the front

Are you inferring that you do not know and would have to ask GM Global Service Information???

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
VR38 you're obviously a bit intellectually challenged and your attempts to challenge my knowledge are so juvenile they are actually amusing.

Go bother someone who has time to entertain children, I dont.