Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power Window Technical Support

derjizm

www.F2thaK.com
Reaction score
Website
www.F2thaK.com
Members Ride
'86 VL Berlina RB30E
Hi guys,

I'm trying to convert to power windows in my Berlina but Im having problems.

I have done lots of testing and Im quite sure the main switch is the problem, but I have thoroughly cleaned it with hydrochloric acid.

The drivers window is the only one Im having problems with.

Does anyone know how to confirm the switch as the problem?

What mine is doing is it works sometimes but then it will stop.....

Its really pissing me off!

Any help is appreciated

BTW Im an electrical accessories fitter, pretty much an auto sparky, so I have some knowledge.

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited:

derjizm

www.F2thaK.com
Reaction score
Website
www.F2thaK.com
Members Ride
'86 VL Berlina RB30E
Dont get it... I cleaned the switches internal contacts with sandpaper so theyre all shiny and drivers window worked perfectly for a while. Then it stopped again! Passenger side has never stopped working. Goddamm MOFO.

Kdouble

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina, CX8 Adventra
Could you have a broken wire in the boot between the body and the door, I know it was really common in the VTs, could be that the wire sometimes lines up to work then sometimes doesn't.

My drivers window in the VT sometimes wouldn't work unless I gave the door trim a good smack, it turned out to be the motor itself, one of the bushes was getting stuck, then I managed to snap both of them putting the motor back together so hopefully it's not that.

I'd be looking at the wiring between the door and the connection at the motor aswell

derjizm

www.F2thaK.com
Reaction score
Website
www.F2thaK.com
Members Ride
'86 VL Berlina RB30E
Thanks, but Im sure the wirings not the problem, I put it in myself recently and fully inspected it first by removing all the tape. The switches are known to be problematic but I cant see why mine would be. Ive reconditioned the motors too...

jcvhsle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh Sle 4.2, ve SSZ z wagon
it only needs a small crumb or fluid or fluff to prevent contact on those stupid rocking terminals

derjizm

www.F2thaK.com
Reaction score
Website
www.F2thaK.com
Members Ride
'86 VL Berlina RB30E
Heres a diagram of how the switch works:

powerwindowswitch_zps95e0d9f3.jpg

My switch seems to be working 100% correctly, Ive even tested it on the back side of the car plug. But out of the 2 wires going to the drivers door motor, (orange and white) at the plug only one is getting power no matter which way you push the switch. It should alternate. Goddammit!

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
The wire that isn't getting power at the window, have you tried running a secondary wire to it.... one just laying across your lap. Does it have output from the switch?