Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Preferred fuel for 6.2 L LS3

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
just get a barrel it will keep for ages i only just finished a barrel still have 1/2 in vehicle tank and its 19 months old still 82% ethanol runs perfect

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Are ethanol fuels still available? I know E10 is...
I've never seen an E85 bowser, none of the United stations around here sell it.
Have only seen E85 in 200l drums at Autobarn.
The local Caltex used to have an eflex bowser, but not any more...
Yeah it is. Caltex flex and United "V8 Supercar E85" lol. I can only buy United here though.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Are ethanol fuels still available? I know E10 is...
I've never seen an E85 bowser, none of the United stations around here sell it.
Have only seen E85 in 200l drums at Autobarn.
The local Caltex used to have an eflex bowser, but not any more...
Yeah mate, some close others open. eg New ones opened QLD at Brendale and Bli Bli, only two I've seen pull the pin on the east coast over past two years is Kempsey and Tweed Heads.
Near you there is Hillside, Tarneit, Hawthorne, Springvale.

Last edited:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Near you there is Hillside, Tarneit, Hawthorne, Springvale.

Hahahahaha, Hillside and Tarneit are reasonably close, Hawthorn not really close, Springvale is a 'cut lunch and a compass' trip.

It would be quicker and cheaper to go to Bendigo...

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Hahahahaha, Hillside and Tarneit are reasonably close, Hawthorn not really close, Springvale is a 'cut lunch and a compass' trip.

It would be quicker and cheaper to go to Bendigo...
Haha yeah I didn't look, prolly ok to consider $1 a litre across town on the way up Dandenong or down Mornington.
Hillside eFlex is closer to you than my local is to me, I can get to mine with around five litres to go! Just 15mins straight down Vineyard Rd take a left at Hwy.

Last edited:

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
In your chemical and materials engineering, when you covered the topic of corrosion, did you also consider gasoline as corrosive, or just water?
In your engineering roles since did you discover beer, bourbon, or wine to be more or less corrosive than gasoline and it's additives?
Of course petroleum is not a corrosive in itself, (although in cleaning metal surfaces of any oil, it promotes corrosion), but water is the problem. The corrosivity would be due to sugar and other ingredients in the refreshments that you have listed. I simply enjoy drinking them, especially wine. Ethanol suffers also from a lower specific energy content than petroleum, so you burn more to get the same energy out of an engine - another reason I wouldn't knowingly use it in my car engines.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Of course petroleum is not a corrosive in itself, (although in cleaning metal surfaces of any oil, it promotes corrosion), but water is the problem. The corrosivity would be due to sugar and other ingredients in the refreshments that you have listed. I simply enjoy drinking them, especially wine. Ethanol suffers also from a lower specific energy content than petroleum, so you burn more to get the same energy out of an engine - another reason I wouldn't knowingly use it in my car engines.
Goodo, seems we have common interests, I am a wine maker BTW and just as you studied chem and mech engineering I deal with petrochemicals everyday, agents and solvents as well as fuel products. Practically speaking, I have used both anhydrous and hydrous alcohol exclusively in operating, logging and calibrating these V8 Zeta cars over a wide range of environmental conditions for seven years. More than 300,000 km. Corrosion due to ingress of water as contamination is not a concern in our fuel / evap / pcv system. At least no more than it is when using petrol and perhaps anecdotally is more beneficial.
A real caution though with high ethanol fuel and corrosion comes because alcohol is a great solvent for most things especially breaks down motor oil. Like petrol. But much more water from hydrous ethanol combustion can mix with high phosphate (ZDDP) lubricants and morph into compounds with potential for corrosion internally. Hence new GF-5 spec engine oil per normal intervals or increased changeover of high ZDDP per race conditions is required.
Pushing the e38 control module I found brake specific fuel consumption of a stock LS3 98 petrol to be 0.47, stock LS3 with flex OS on e85 is 0.52 and BSFC when supercharged, per LSA, is 0.75.
Recalibration of injection timing (inc DFCO, AFM), spark, valve events up the wazoo using wideband logging and collaborating with expert technicians and software online I found there are hardly any sustainable safe options to better the 0.47 stock benchmark on petrol. Basically petrol is a crap fuel, particularly for this engine's thermodynamic barriers and combustion efficiency, only compounds with forced induction.
However raising the Compression Ratio (cam, deck heads / block) and continuously varying the Expansion Ratio via tune (VVT), you can definitely better a BSFC of 0.45 on e85. Of course flex fuel is also local and 40% less than the price of the imported pump petrol.
IMG_1734.PNG

So while ethanol has less energy per litre (10% practical hwy consumption penalty without modification to the GM flex tune / stock motor), the most work per litre / lowest fuel consumption I've found is with 5-15% water as hydrous ethanol fuel. Same reason it is used in university hypermiling fuel challenges - more BMEP, greater thermal efficiency - closer to a reversible adiabatic process.

Last edited:

SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
Heroin White VF2 SS Wagon
I like cars

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride