Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Price Of Oil?

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Vic already has the EV tax in place
https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/registration/registration-fees/zlev-road-user-charge

There is a case in the high court to fight this
IIRC, the high court challenge to the Victorian EV tax is supported by the federal government, not because the feds see the tax as wrong but more so they see any tax replacing lost excise as stepping into their domain. So it’s a power play and ultimately a money grab driving the challenge…

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
IIRC, the high court challenge to the Victorian EV tax is supported by the federal government, not because the feds see the tax as wrong but more so they see any tax replacing lost excise as stepping into their domain. So it’s a power play and ultimately a money grab driving the challenge…

How much to drive 10000 km per year?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
When govt revenue drops from declining fossil fuel sales you will see the introduction of tax charged per km travelled.
Your new EV will communicate with your smart phone and once a month your smart phone will automatically pay the ATO.
Higher rego costs will most likely be a reality too.

I actually read in the paper today, a new battery for a Lexus was just over $40K + GST and fitting costs

There was also another brand of EV that supplied the costings of a new battery and from memory it was over $20K +GST and fitting costs. Can't remember the brand though...

The paper ran the article asking manufacturers for the costings of replacement batteries on these cars and only the 2 brands supplied the costs...The rest supplied warranty info, which was along the lines of 160,000K to 200,000K, with a 70% efficiency rate, with a 7 to 8 year warranty period for them, depending on the manufacturer...

Of course there was the usual, costs will come down over time spiel, but time will tell there....

I wish I had actually remembered to bring the article home with me so I could be a little more accurate with the information....

So it is definately moving well towards the throw away society with these cars

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
EVs are a bait and switch deal. Since the gov want all electric, they can shut your power off at a whim for any reason (wright, wrong or indifferent with social credit scores).

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
EVs are a bait and switch deal. Since the gov want all electric, they can shut your power off at a whim for any reason (wright, wrong or indifferent with social credit scores).
Everything isn’t the conspiracy you seem to think it is. Govco just want to replace their revenue from fuel excise/taxes with something else, that’s all.

If shutting off your power for being a naughty boy was ever a thing wouldn’t people just go standalone with solar panels? A lot of people probably will anyway as when you have two dirty great batteries sitting out the front (your cars) why not use them to power your house?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VT s2 Exec, VX Calais II L67

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
At last ........... a road test of an EV which does not consider the number of cup holders and connectivity as top priority.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/tech...sedgntp&cvid=12a54c30136a41e093ccae5a5ab3b9a8

Best bit quote ....... You can drive long distances within your battery comfort zone, which I did, but here's the kicker: the six-hour trip between Sydney and Coffs Harbour, queues and comfortable charging wait times included, took me 11 hours. :oops:

Last week, I left Ipswich to drive home, 753 km = 8hrs as per the satnav. By the time we got to the NSW border via Logan Mway and M1, we were 40 minutes behind the original ETA.
One stop for 38 litres of 98, a pie, and coffee at Coffs Harbour south, and we were home at 9 hours from departure.
And that is why an EV is not my cup of de-caffeinated skim milk coffee.