Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Problem lowering on FE3 suspension?

AusWaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline M6
Maybe it is just the Teins that don't have the right travel or something as saroadie said?

If other brands somehow get past this like KW (not paying $3,500 tho) then that's a good start. Car looks mint panhead.

So far it sounds like no one else has heard of issues except with Tein.

I'm looking at lowering my VF II Redline and have been talking to both MCA Suspension and Shockworks. Being Melbourne based I will go visit Shockworks when they have kits again. I do like the MCA kit too. Both are in a similar price bracket.

I just noticed you are based in Victoria too. Price wise it is within the Tein kit you are looking at with the kit installed by Shockworks themselves.

What was the price for each out of curiosity? And you can definitely get it lower than Tein in the front? Sounds like good options.

I didn't want to go with cheap coilovers like K-Sport.

Cheers for the replies so far. And the patience.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
What parts are left or reused, my understanding is the complete removal happens. Or are you saying that the OE become donour parts for the new setup?

Both MCA and Shockworks have said that the OE doesn't become a donour.

It depends on the make and model of the vehicle as to what is included in the kit.

I have some cars where adjustable tie rods are included to replace the OEM items and some like the kit for the Redline where they are not.

Here are a couple of photos of what was removed from my car, not much when you think about it.

IMG_6895a.jpg

IMG_6905a.jpg

monty_vfssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV S2 Redline
Why coilovers?? Most of them come with crap shocks unless you start spending big coin.. lowered springs with a decent shock is the way to go. However you still have limited choices with FE3.

White Swan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS
Why coilovers?? Most of them come with crap shocks unless you start spending big coin.. lowered springs with a decent shock is the way to go. However you still have limited choices with FE3.

Why Coilover?? - because they can be adjusted to suit.

However you still have limited choices with FE3. - what is so special about FE3 that limits its choices compared to FE2?

monty_vfssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV S2 Redline
Why Coilover?? - because they can be adjusted to suit.

However you still have limited choices with FE3. - what is so special about FE3 that limits its choices compared to FE2?
Yeah fair enough.. just pointing out that ride quality/performance is hugely dependent on a decent shock. Which alot of coil over kits dont have. But you'll get a fully sick stance i guess..

I believe fe3 and fe2 have a different bolt pattern or angle on the front shocks?? Not 100% sure as i haven't touched fe2. But they are different part numbers when ordering after market shocks.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Yes you are removing some of the FE3 components to install the coilovers.

My OEM parts have been placed in their own box, tagged and stored away as I do with all the OEM parts I remove from my cars.

It can always be easily returned to stock if I wish.

In my opinion the KW3 coilovers I’m using make the car handle far better than the stock setup.

It looks great too. How does ride quality compare?

Last edited:

arthurk

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Redline VFII / SSV Motorsport KOM0993
What was the price for each out of curiosity? And you can definitely get it lower than Tein in the front? Sounds like good options.

I didn't want to go with cheap coilovers like K-Sport.

Cheers for the replies so far. And the patience.

The Shockworks were roughly 2100 with a 250 install. The MCA started around 2050 for the Street Performance through to 2900 for the Red Race setup. Install would be roughly 450.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
It looks great too. How does ride quality compare?

Being fully adjustable the ride quality can be what you want.
If you have a good installer they’ll also play around to get it the way you like.
For my car the initial install was done on day one but it was the work that was put in after that which impressed me.
Over the next couple of days he allowed me to experience a few different setups before I eventually settled on what I have now.
After he did the set it up I wanted he then loosened off every suspension component including the chassis to take the strain off then tensioned it all down again.
He’s a racer at heart and doesn’t do many street cars and it was his first VF series Commodore and his first street setup for any Commodore.
He mainly does track cars with the Touring Car Masters and Japanese brands being his bread and butter.
He readies them to race.
The wheel alignment also plays a big part and it has been set to suit my driving style with a quick and responsive turn in being what I was after.
Some decent sticky rubber doesn’t go astray either.
The best way to describe my setup is to say, if you have fillings in your teeth when you get in, you won’t when you get out.
That’s a little bit exaggerated but it is very firm.
I have other cars set up the same including my MY2010 C63 and it makes for great handling and as they are not daily drivers as such and not subjected to rough roads I can afford to get away with a loss in ride comfort.
If you are in the market for coilovers make sure you go for fully adjustable and that way a good installer should be able to stiffen them up for cornering while maintaining the ride comfort similar to OEM and get your ride height down to a perfect stance to suit your own tastes.
Just swapping out springs and shocks alone rarely achieves that.
Also all good quality coilovers and in many cases even the cheapies can be rebuilt when the time comes and upgrading their characteristics for things like dampening and rebound can be done at the same time as well.

I was looking a LX Torana just before Christmas where the owner had fitted coilovers all round and even though I wouldn’t do that to mine I’m am thinking about doing my XY Falcon as I don’t feel I need to keep it stock.
He’s also a suspension guy and the ride and handling he achieved with his car leaves my Torries for dead.

AusWaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline M6
The Shockworks were roughly 2100 with a 250 install. The MCA started around 2050 for the Street Performance through to 2900 for the Red Race setup. Install would be roughly 450.

Who were doing the MCAs? I'll give them a ring and that might be the way to go. Thanks mate