Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tired suspension

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
When I was initially looking for replacement shocks, the Monroe website led me to believe that the GT Sport shocks only work with lowered springs? As I wanted to keep the ride height factory, this is why I went down the road of OESpectrum

Can the GT Sport's be used with the OEM FE2 Springs and factory bottom out bumpers? (Over time ive collected all applicable OEM bushings and bumpers for each shock when sales are on, to do a full rebuild of each strut)
Monroe's catalogue refers to FE2 as sports suspension where their recommended shocks are GT Sport. It makes sense as the shock valving must accommodate stiffer FE2 spring rates. The GT Sport shocks are shorter in the body length to increase bump clearance for lowered cars, but the spring length determines ride height, not the shock body length. If you retain the FE2 springs with GT Sport shocks, the ride heights will remain the same.

I Wish

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, Nitrate Silver Wagon
Automotive Superstore has a special on at the moment. Monroe GT Sport are on there.

oms

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 CalaisV LS3
See attached pic for recommendations from automotive superstore.

There isn't even a Monroe gt option.

Can anyone provide the part number for Monroe gt?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230620_075419_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230620_075419_Samsung Internet.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 64

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
If anyone is reading this with a wagon or ute, the rears are 35-0653.
Couldnt actually tell you the difference though.

Fronts same as @RevNev
I've never compared the sedan rear shocks with wagon/ute shocks side by side. There may be a length difference if there's a variation in chassis rails where the top mounts bolt up.

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
Monroe's catalogue refers to FE2 as sports suspension where their recommended shocks are GT Sport. It makes sense as the shock valving must accommodate stiffer FE2 spring rates. The GT Sport shocks are shorter in the body length to increase bump clearance for lowered cars, but the spring length determines ride height, not the shock body length. If you retain the FE2 springs with GT Sport shocks, the ride heights will remain the same.

Ergh…looking back now I see the answer buried in the details, bloody annoying that Monroe couldn’t use the term “FE2” in brackets next to “Sports Suspension”. Especially because most parts website insinuate that the GT Sports only suit lowered suspension, as does the Monroe website itself

Righto, so the GT Sports are all good with stock springs and bumpers and won’t affect factory ride height.

Anyone need a brand new set of OESpectrum shocks? :D

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Ergh…looking back now I see the answer buried in the details, bloody annoying that Monroe couldn’t use the term “FE2” in brackets next to “Sports Suspension”. Especially because most parts website insinuate that the GT Sports only suit lowered suspension, as does the Monroe website itself

Righto, so the GT Sports are all good with stock springs and bumpers and won’t affect factory ride height.

Anyone need a brand new set of OESpectrum shocks? :D
Yes, the GT Sport shocks are the replacements for FE2 suspension, and the ride heights will remain the same as stock.