Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tired suspension

goose202

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais L77, VX Calais LS1, VW T-ROC
Noting that ride height for FE1, FE2 and FE3 on a VF is all the same, according to the owner's manual.

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
Yes, the GT Sport shocks are the replacements for FE2 suspension, and the ride heights will remain the same as stock.

So was curious and gave Monroe Technical line a call.

Person on the phone was adamant that the GT Sports were to be used with the king springs if lowering, and that the “Sports Suspension” refers to keeping the stock height, but using a stiffer aftermarket spring.

They also said the OESpectrums were the replacement for OE FE2. But also said that the GT Sports were valved for stiffer springs, which I said was what the FE2 springs are.

Seems Monroe themselves cant give a definitive answer.

It’s a bummer as I’ve got a complete set of OESpectrums now, vs having to buy a whole new set of GT Sports to keep the suspension feeling factory. All other bushes will be OEM, but going for SuperPro Polyelast for the strut tops

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Sounds rather overcomplicated.
If they're all the same height that helps. So can you just simply the whole thing and say OES if you want a soft factory ride and GT SPORTS if you want to stiffen it up??
You've already spent your money so what's the worst that can happen if you fit the OES you have in the shed?

Reactions: Lex

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
So was curious and gave Monroe Technical line a call.

Person on the phone was adamant that the GT Sports were to be used with the king springs if lowering, and that the “Sports Suspension” refers to keeping the stock height, but using a stiffer aftermarket spring.

They also said the OESpectrums were the replacement for OE FE2. But also said that the GT Sports were valved for stiffer springs, which I said was what the FE2 springs are.

Seems Monroe themselves cant give a definitive answer.

It’s a bummer as I’ve got a complete set of OESpectrums now, vs having to buy a whole new set of GT Sports to keep the suspension feeling factory. All other bushes will be OEM, but going for SuperPro Polyelast for the strut tops
You'll be fine with the oe spectrums, though gt are better.
Polyelast are good, I've fit them to mine. They look identical to stock FWIW

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Sounds rather overcomplicated.
If they're all the same height that helps. So can you just simply the whole thing and say OES if you want a soft factory ride and GT SPORTS if you want to stiffen it up??
You've already spent your money so what's the worst that can happen if you fit the OES you have in the shed?
The shocks really should match the springs though … you can get a worse ride with “soft“ shocks and “firm” springs than a properly-matched set of “firm” shocks fitted along with the same springs.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
The shocks really should match the springs though … you can get a worse ride with “soft“ shocks and “firm” springs than a properly-matched set of “firm” shocks fitted along with the same springs.
Yes soft shocks are always miserable. I prefer firmer shocks even with soft springs if I have the choice.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Correct! FE2 springs are stiffer than non-FE2 springs and FE2 shocks are more dampened than FE3 shocks that use stiffer sway bars. Monroe GT Sport is the correct shock to use with FE2 springs, not the less dampened OESpectrum shocks valved for the softer non-FE2 spring rates.

Ultimately an adjustable shock should be setup on a shock dyno to suit the spring rate used and then left alone. The adjustability of the shock enables a wider range of spring rates using the same shock and isn't really intended to simply be a ride comfortability adjustment.