Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Project Cool banana :P

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Team Mace my manifold is comming off this week, I'm going to do some messurments but basically do you have any insulation in this thickness, I'm sticking a oil spash sheild in also and hope to wedge it under the manifold so I'll need to do some messuring first to see just what thickness I need. I'm not sure how to best resist the transfer of heat through the bolts yet but I'll think of something. The potential power gain from keeping the heat out is just too much for me to not attempt to fix it.

The head is from the engine masters challenge the guy was obsessed with insulating everything and it made 680hp so he did something right

0803phr_08_z+bes_racings_engine_masters_challenge+.jpg

MACE

Reaction score
Team Mace my manifold is comming off this week, I'm going to do some messurments but basically do you have any insulation in this thickness, I'm sticking a oil spash sheild in also and hope to wedge it under the manifold so I'll need to do some messuring first to see just what thickness I need. I'm not sure how to best resist the transfer of heat through the bolts yet but I'll think of something. The potential power gain from keeping the heat out is just too much for me to not attempt to fix it.

The head is from the engine masters challenge the guy was obsessed with insulating everything and it made 680hp so he did something right

0803phr_08_z+bes_racings_engine_masters_challenge+.jpg

Ah nice :yeah:

Given your request we should have something in stock, however I would honestly consider machining the head face (easier to do on a mill) or the manifold face it's self (or both) so you can at least install a 6mm insulator.

As for the bottom of the manifold, the oil splash cover is also an excellent idea, however I would also consider lining a section of this material underneath. This might require you to grind away the webbing in the bottom of the manifold which is no biggy.

As for reducing the conductivity between the bolts and the manifold (Heat transfer due to the bolts won't be high enough to worry about IMHO) you could enlarge all of the existing bolt holes and press fit insulation bushes which should do the trick.

Also if you could mount the thermostat remotely, and plumb fitting out the side of the manifold, bypassing the existing passage it would be a bonus.

That lump of ally with its long runners sadly does a good job at interwarming :( So any improvements you do will be a huge bonus :thumbsup:

Should be good to see :yeah:

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
There some good extra ideas there, I'll update this once I have the manifold off, I think we can do something a bit special. I wont be able to do everything this time around since I only have 3 weeks till the first race but I'll see how I go

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
seen a guy advertising oil splash shields on ebay. can make em to suit what ever engine you want. has definitly been done before.

i still think you need to get the intake HPC coated. will reduce the temps even more with all the other suggested mods.

remote mounting the thermostat is definitly a interesting idea

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I'm kinda hoping to fill up the gap at the front and rear of the manifold left from the thicker insulators with the splash sheild :0 it works in my head at least but may or may not once I have a better look at it :). Making the sheild from stainless is no problem for me I've got all the tools/skills to do that, that's the least of my problems, I'm going to have it overhang the block and "clip" on the outside of the block with a tab, if that makes any sense and have it cut out around the pushrods so it's 100% oil proof, I also want to weld a rod or half rod under it down the full length in the middle as a drip rod for the returning oil so it lands on the cam. But yeah the sheild itself is no problem, the rest of it needs some working out

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
Couple of Tips :-

Thermal Insulation is available in all sorts of thicknesses from 7 thousandths of an inch up. MACE might still have my number somewhere so I can find some specialty stuff for him.

1.6mm, 3.2mm, 6.4mm are all available, although not common in some very high qualtity grades of material based on glass (hell on machine tools) silicon or even mica.

Below that is some real exotic stuff I can point you in the direction. Most people know what Nomex is ? Well there is some 3 layer Nomex-Kapton-Nomex laminate available with thicknesses as low as 2 thou per layer, up 7 thou per layer for specialty electrical / thermal work. NKN tops out at 180 degrees operating temperature. Kapton is a specially thermal barrier.

it could be used for gasketing type applications, but its primary purpose is electrical insulation at high temps. It's thermal side is kind of secondary.

I can point people in the right direction but I am not a machinist or a business, while MACE is, and is in the industry this stuff comes from.

Another thought I had was if you put shallow grooves in aluminium, you can slot copper sheet (or even square copper tube) into it. Add some standard heat sinking compound - or silver solder if you can make it take to the aluminium, and you have heat sinks on your ally componenents, or even a water cooling set up. Using something like the VLS system from a raptor, you could conveivably water cool an inlet manifold.

The sides of the plenum on an ecotec are almost ideally shaped for this......

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
Oh and thermal efficiency is a HUGE thing in an engine. If you can get your air coming in at zero degrees celsius, you will get a a flow volume some 35% larger than air coming in at 25 degrees. Air density decrease THAT much with temperature.

Have a bit of fun with this. Blow on a thermometer for about 2 minutes, and measure the temperature of your breath. It will probably be around 33-36 degrees. Blow up a balloon With the balloon in a small cardboard box. Blow it up until it just touches the sides. Throw it in the freezer for an hour. When it comes out, have a look at how much smaller the balloon is. Thats temperature effect on air density.

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
You know how Oxygen from an oxy bottle is freezing cold as it comes out of the taps, I've often wondered if shooting Oxy dtraight into a manifold would give a 2 fold increase in power, indiretcly through intercooling and directly through a better / hotter burn because of higher o2 content.....

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
You know how Oxygen from an oxy bottle is freezing cold as it comes out of the taps, I've often wondered if shooting Oxy dtraight into a manifold would give a 2 fold increase in power, indiretcly through intercooling and directly through a better / hotter burn because of higher o2 content.....

i think thats where most people would use nitrous