Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Project Phoenix - VR Grange tribute/replica

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VT s2 Exec, VX Calais II L67
Mine had bolts. Never seen OEM studs?

I've got a new alloy AC/engine mount bracket so I can get rid of that ugly steel AC bracket and fit a nice alloy bracket for the PS pump so I was going to look for some nice and shiny stainless fasteners, preferably studs. I'm hoping I can find something in the ARP range that will do the job.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Mine had bolts. Never seen OEM studs?

I've got a new alloy AC/engine mount bracket so I can get rid of that ugly steel AC bracket and fit a nice alloy bracket for the PS pump so I was going to look for some nice and shiny stainless fasteners, preferably studs. I'm hoping I can find something in the ARP range that will do the job.
Interesting, both of mine had studs for the PS bracket.

Maybe it was only certain years.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VT s2 Exec, VX Calais II L67
Unknown unfortunately.

I just went and had a look at my fancy PS bracket. It has recesses bolt holes so will only work with cap screws. There goes that idea.

Thanks anyway.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Glad I work from home while the other half is at work, the smell of high temp ceramic paint curing is brutal.....colour matching my pulleys to the rocker covers/fuel rails.
MxreW3I.jpg

Early picture from the weekend, don't have any up to date pics handy.
Started running the wiring through the wiper cowl out to where it needs to go, I'm about 1/4 of the way through it at the moment.

Tonights job is to finish the injector wiring, TPS, IAC, MAT sensors and extend the trans loom down the trans tunnel from it's new location.
fd68Keb.jpg

Throttle body is on for IAC/TPS looms, fuel rails are in for injector looms etc. AS you can see in the bottom left of the pic the ignition module is mounted above the bumper mounting bracket so I can reach it if it fails but it stays hidden.

Last edited:

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Another night of progress.

ABhQ38V.jpg

Rough goal is to have it running and moving on Monday (Public Holiday in SA) to keep my motivation up, then I can move back onto finishing the body work (bonnet, ABS cover, wiper cover etc).

Last edited:

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Another night of progress.

ABhQ38V.jpg

Rough goal is to have it running and moving on Monday (Public Holiday in SA) to keep my motivation up, then I can move back onto finishing the body work (bonnet, ABS cover, wiper cover etc).
Looking good.
A couple of questions though,
- do you have a new power steering pump or yet to tidy this one?
- can you run injector wiring over the runners and just tuck each plug under the rail and into the injector instead of over the rocker cover? That's how I did mine as I couldn't turn the injectors around, which might also be an option for you. It should all hide under the air cleaner then.
-is your single entry point in the cowl going to be mostly hidden by the air cleaner? Because that is going to look (or hide rather) great.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Looking good.
A couple of questions though,
- do you have a new power steering pump or yet to tidy this one?
- can you run injector wiring over the runners and just tuck each plug under the rail and into the injector instead of over the rocker cover? That's how I did mine as I couldn't turn the injectors around, which might also be an option for you. It should all hide under the air cleaner then.
-is your single entry point in the cowl going to be mostly hidden by the air cleaner? Because that is going to look (or hide rather) great.

I don't have a new PS pump, but I am going to tidy that one up as best I can. It stayed in the bay during the respray as I didn't want the hassle of draining it, refilling it, bleeding it and someone from before I had the car has mangled some of the fittings so I don't want to risk rounding them if I don't have to.

Good thinking with reversing the injectors, I'll give that a try!

The single entry point was the lowest I could get it without hitting the bottom of the wiper cowl channel and I didn't want to drill new holes in the firewall down lower with all the dash/interior wiring/hvac stuff still behind the dash.

As I have a large 14x3.5" air cleaner and a strut brace that sits back there it should be relatively hidden. You should only really notice if if your specifically looking for it. The rest of the wiring to the right is going out through the guard.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
reversing the injectors,
Don't know about 5 Lt, but with the 3.8 Lt v6 there is a position for the injector to sit for optimal spray pattern. If you turn the injector around, the spray pattern is not at its optimal spray pattern. Bottom line is you'll lose kw power.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Don't know about 5 Lt, but with the 3.8 Lt v6 there is a position for the injector to sit for optimal spray pattern. If you turn the injector around, the spray pattern is not at its optimal spray pattern. Bottom line is you'll lose kw power.
Very interesting. I thought it was a straight spray pattern out of 4/5/6 whatever number of pinholes, and did think they should pool to one side or the other, as long as the entry angle into the manifold is the same, then no worries.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
You can rotate the injectors and it doesn't change the angle nor the seating.
Slim vt injectors have 4 holes to atomise the fuel better than the fat injectors single nozzle.

Need more info Lex