Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Project Que'y

*uwishn*

Holden special vehicles
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl walkinshaw(replica)nissan navara d40 st-x turbo
love the old tonner's i sold a smick 308 wb not long ago,
will be watching this build.

Attachments

• my old wb.jpg
    my old wb.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 407

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
Any updates?

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
Hello hello...!

Nice WB *uwishn* can't wait til the HQ's back on the road!

Bit of an update pjdm1980, been a long time coming, but I've been putting this off for a while!!

Rust repairs on the cab, specifically the inner and outer sills, front floor pans, and apparently the rear quarter panels - gotta love how things snowball...

IMG_0125.jpg

Outter sill cut off, front lower panel/s removed...

IMG_0117.jpg

IMG_0120.jpg

IMG_0126.jpg

Old v's New...

IMG_0132.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

Floor pan out..

IMG_0147.jpg

My sister's Fiance`laying some down! Nice helmet eyy :p

IMG_0151.jpg

You can see the front section's repaired, and the outer sill already on in the last pic. Forget to get before and after pics, but got these ones from half way through!

Everyone laughed at me me for paying $300 for a 100 year old anvil, but I showed them, making the little rust repair sections in no time at all!

So all in all, we replaced the (passenger) front lower sections - where the front guards bolt to the body, the bottom part of the inner sill, the whole outer sill, front floor pan, and the lower half of the rear quarter panel, had to cut off the whole lower section as it was fairly badly damaged, the crease/body line had around an inch of bog on it...

Got the drivers side all cut out, just need to get some sheet from work to make up the smaller bits.

Ohh, and ignore the transmission hump, around the shifter! lmfao. its going once the drivers side floor pan is welded in!

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
Ok fella's, need a bit of advice/suggestions/to talk out loud (in text form anyway) and try and come to a decision on a couple of things.

Seeing as how I'm working so much, and have no time to work on this poor thing, I'm looking into seeing how much a standalone wiring loom will be, but you have to specify auto manual etc.
Which starts off the indecisions. What gear box to run, the 4L60E/th700 (whatever came with the VZ, 4 speed auto), th400, powerglide, or try and find a decently priced t56?? Always planned to just run what came with the LS1, butif theres a better option...

What sort of brakes? Looking at doing an upgrade, something like these, might get them off Hoppers Stoppers though, not sure if these are any good...?

BIG BRAKE CONVERSION KIT FITS HQ HJ HX WB STUBS MONARO | eBay

BIG BRAKE 330 MM KIT FITS HQ HJ HX WB STUBS MONARO GTS | eBay

Next up, fuel system, go custom tank where the original one sits, or drop tank where the spare tyre sits, or keep original with a weld ring in it. Fitting, rails, injectors? Keep as much stock as possible, or scrap the lot and get a complete after market system?

Tempted to throw a cam in, but then the idea of turbo's come into mind..... :s

Pretty much over slow progress and need to "see" something happening, quick! Get the brakes back on, front wheels on, back on the ground, then think of exhaust/fuel lines etc, throw the cab on, wire like mad and turn the key... Or something like that!

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Nice work no the body, good to see it progressing. Keep it up mate.

In regards to your questions, i'd use either a TH350 or a TH700. Steer clear of the 4L60E IMO, go with the early mechanical auto if you want the 4 speed. Powerglide will hamper the LS1 too much, they are doughy enough down low with a 4 speed, a Powerglide would just magnify that. If you want a stick, then T56 is the only way.

Honestly, i think HQ-WB brakes are still a very good system. My ute stops absolutely fine with WB discs on the front and Commodore discs on the rear (i'm doing the same to my Torana aswell). I've driven H series Holdens with the Hoppers kit, and i can't feel much difference between them and mine. I think it's a lot of money for what i feel is very little gain.

Fuel system, go with the weld ring and VT module in the original tank. It'll work a treat and the tank will still be factory.