Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Projector Headlamps?

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
Are they legal?
Unlikely.
They are designed so the hot point is in the same location as halogen, so the reflector behaves the same.
Anything over 2000 lumens requires self leveling and washers.
That said I've got the 4300k set and they are marvelous. Except my cutoff doesn't seem to be quite as distinct as the photos in the eBay ad. But same level as the halogen was.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
See the RACQ Headlight article which discusses the issues of such H7 HID converter globe.
I’m sure the NSW rego authority has its own article of this topic but my quick 1 minute search found the above.

HID converter globes are definitely illegal in Queensland regardless of light output. Definitely illegal in all other states if the lamp is greater than 2000 lumens and likely illegal if less than 2000 lumens.

It seems for those living in SA, retrofitting HID headlamp assemblies is permissible unlike other states (though its likely still a bureaucratic process to follow). Atleast it’s not a prohibited practice as is the case in Queensland (meaning engineering certification to be legal).

Lamp assemblies =/ converter globes.

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Unlikely...Except my cutoff doesn't seem to be quite as distinct as the photos in the eBay ad...
So you are using what you know to likely be an illegal Hid converter globe without a sharp cutoff that has the potential to blind some poor sod coming the other way. Hope you know a good lawyer if your lights cause an accident and it’s tracked back to you...

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
HID in any vehicle that didn't originally come equipped stands for "Hi, I'm a ********". Ask the MCM boys.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Poorly installed and illegal HID in any vehicle that didn't originally come equipped stands for "Hi, I'm a ********". Ask the MCM boys.
There fixed that for you ;)

But not knowing who the MCM boys are, I had to google to try and understand what you meant. They seem a bit of a laugh at times so i’ll have to watch a lot more of them to understand what they may think of HID mods but doubt it’s worth the time (it was) :D

In any case, these two MCM boys seem to be doing rather well for themselves ;)

(Edited after I viewed the relevant video)

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lol that is gold what the ep in question and it was funny.

Haha, that video was funny :cool: thanks for linking to the video :) Now fully understand @Smashfist’s comment and I’ve gotta say I agree with the MCM boys :p

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
Are they legal?
Sorry, I haven't been around for a few days. No they're not legal, but as suggested in some of the responses, poorly installed HID's are a problem. E3s and VFs have good quality projector lens and therefore have a clear and sharp cut off. I have tilted my headlamps down below standard cutoff points to minimise interferance to other drivers. HID's in high beams are not illegal in NSW, but of course, you have to turn them off a longer distance when other cars are in front of you compared to halogens and sealed beams.

I have had HID's in all of my cars since 2003 and never ever had an issue on the multiple occasions, the boys in blue have pulled me over for RBTs, or just to have a look. Maybe my age helps there (I am over 50 now). Not sure if my son would get away so lightly driving one of my cars.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Sorry, I haven't been around for a few days. No they're not legal, but as suggested in some of the responses, poorly installed HID's are a problem. E3s and VFs have good quality projector lens and therefore have a clear and sharp cut off. I have tilted my headlamps down below standard cutoff points to minimise interferance to other drivers. HID's in high beams are not illegal in NSW, but of course, you have to turn them off a longer distance when other cars are in front of you compared to halogens and sealed beams.

I have had HID's in all of my cars since 2003 and never ever had an issue on the multiple occasions, the boys in blue have pulled me over for RBTs, or just to have a look. Maybe my age helps there (I am over 50 now). Not sure if my son would get away so lightly driving one of my cars.
Thanks Mate. Much appreciated. Yeah, driver behaviour and maturity can certainly make a big difference at these times.
I think I'm just going to up the wattage slightly on my high beams. I'm pretty happ6 with them as is. But, a little extra light never goes astray.

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
Thanks Mate. Much appreciated. Yeah, driver behaviour and maturity can certainly make a big difference at these times.
I think I'm just going to up the wattage slightly on my high beams. I'm pretty happ6 with them as is. But, a little extra light never goes astray.
Are you ever in Sydney or Wollongong? More than happy to show you what they look like from inside the car at night.