Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Not sure if I need to be concerned - SV6 sound

Squidfayce

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 Storm Wagon
What I'm hearing in the video, is the typical sound of a V6 with a poorly modified exhaust system.
bought from a dealer with nothing modified noted. I mean id rather poorly modified than something i need to immediately fix. Is there anyway to tell just by looking under the car? I have a stock 2014 VF sedan sv6 owned from new to compare to as well. Exhaust tips are the same, so if it was stock i assume the muffler, cats and pipes would be the same if stock?

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
bought from a dealer with nothing modified noted. I mean id rather poorly modified than something i need to immediately fix. Is there anyway to tell just by looking under the car? I have a stock 2014 VF sedan sv6 owned from new to compare to as well. Exhaust tips are the same, so if it was stock i assume the muffler, cats and pipes would be the same if stock?
Best to look under each car and compare the exhausts, Stock tips doesn't confirm the muffler configurations aren't altered.

Squidfayce

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 Storm Wagon
Best to look under each car and compare the exhausts, Stock tips doesn't confirm the muffler configurations aren't altered.
yeah figured. Will take a look on the weekend. Too dark when i get home. thanks

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Whatever the noise is, it’s not normal, so it would be classified as a defect that the selling dealer should investigate and fix either under your ACL statutory warranty (which has no fixed duration) or the used car statutory warranty (where the duration is fixed in time and distance).

It’s the dealers issue to resolve so don’t turn it into your issue to resolve ;)

PS: used car stat warranty info

Australian Consumer Law statutory warranty info

just note that one law doesn’t preclude the other, both are valid when one buys a used car.

Last edited:

Squidfayce

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 Storm Wagon
Just an update. issue is lose muffler baffle.

Across the statutory warranty stuff, but was looking to change the mufflers anyway, so not going to bother. would have if it was a bigger issue . The dealer is a 200k round trip, so time out of my day to get something put on I'm going to take off isn't worth it.

Many thanks all, and skylarking, 100% never lost a warranty argument with any vendor/manufacturer. Always a fun excursion that one .

So next question is, which set up to go for to not be "that guy". Just after suggestion for mufflers, not the whole exhaust.ideallysomewhere I can pick up from I'm Melbourne.

Squidfayce

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 Storm Wagon
So an update to this. Was NOT a lose muffler baffle. I swapped out the mufflers, no change.

Installed a new catback exhaust over the weekend, Unsure this has fixed the issue as the new exhaust sound may just be masking the noise. I need to drive it a bit more.

The fitment of the system is pretty average, but after several adjustments I'm happy with the fit under the car, but not so much the exhaust tips. Seems this is not uncommon. Anyone have any tips worth exploring?