Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Not sure if I need to be concerned - SV6 sound

Squidfayce

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 Storm Wagon
Hi, lifelong commodore driver. Currently drive a 2015 VF sv6 Storm wagon. I picked this up a couple weeks ago.

Prior this I was driving the 2014 VF Sv6 sedan since new, which I put ~180k km on. I feel like I know how the car should feel and sound in general.

I’ve done a forum search for similar issues, but nothing I’ve found is similar to what I’m experiencing

Since I picked up the storm wagon I’ve noticed it sounds different to the sedan. I’m unsure if the wagon is somehow different or there is a need to worry and get it checked out. The car is stock.

The car sounds different in the 2-3k rev range under acceleration. The tone of the exhaust sounds like it got an extra sound do it I can’t quite describe, but it 100% isn’t there in the sedan. The car seems to perform fine, its had its regular servicing and otherwise presents well. No loss of power, doesn’t sound like an exhaust leak etc. The sound actually isn’t even bad, it kind of makes it sound a little more aggressive in the low rev range, but it’s the same engine, exhaust etc AFAIK, So I’m concerned that the sound isn’t normal.

Kind of not sure if I need to get it looked at or I’m missing something fundamental between the models. Next service is due in a couple thousand Km – so probs a month or two.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
I would say it is the wagon and you can hear the exhaust more through the cabin. the V8's used to have a different sound than the sedans.

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
Would wager normal. The cabin is way more open and more room for the sound to reverberate compared to sedan

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Is your newer car red?
10kW more power
/s

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Wagons are very different when it comes to exhaust than the sedans, the wagon drones a little more.

I have a 2012 VE Calais L77 wagon, and I was looking after a 2009 VE Calais L76 Sedan for some time while it was for sale,
and I did notice the Sedan was much quieter in the cabin.

Both the Wagon and Sedan are stock, both have AFM.

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
Possible exhaust leak?

Squidfayce

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 Storm Wagon
So I caught some audio of the issue I'm experiencing. I'm not convinces it's the difference between wagon and sedan interior noise as the exhaust note is completely different too. Also it's not consistent.

From about 20 sec onwards it's more noticeable on the acceleration

Last edited:

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
The neighbors must love you.....

mayby the muffler has a rattle?

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
So I caught some audio of the issue I'm experiencing. I'm not convinces it's the difference between wagon and sedan interior noise as the exhaust note is completely different too. Also it's not consistent.

From about 20 sec onwards it's more noticeable on the acceleration

Definitely sounds like an exhaust thing. Baffle maybe?