Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

proper procedure autotrans fluid level check

bubbada

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN Commodore
To Check Fluid level is to get car running up to temp (i think that's 10 mins idling or 25k of driving, not harsh driving but it happens to be im in hilly country so i cant do that can i?)
remove dipstick and wipe
shift the selector lever through all shift positions and then place lever at "P"
(? PRND123 or 321DNRP or PRND12321DNRP or PRND12321DNRPRND12321DNRP)
switch off engine off then immediately replace dipstick withdraw within 10 seconds to check level

most of this came from max ellery manual

NOTE: does this apply to the vt commodore? i get confused on in vt book it goes on about checking level while running.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
This is the VN-VP section of the forum. A lot of stuff in aftermarket maintenance manuals needs to be checked. My genuine Holden dealers VQ manual says to get the transmission to operating temperature, place the vehicle on a level surface with the brakes applied, start the engine and then check the dipstick for level and discolouration. Note I had to punch two dimples in my dipstick , high and low, to collect fluid and confirm the levels. Otherwise when you pull the dipstick it is difficult to see the exact level- fluid sticks to the sides etc.

bubbada

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN Commodore
In actuality i am talking about my 91 S2 VN Commodore:) and the max ellery manual is for the vn commodore.
the note was for any comparison to the vt.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Ok. I have several different manuals for the VP series, including Max Ellery's. His manual is wrong in this and a lot of other matters. I was lucky enough to buy a set of the original GMH VQ manuals when the Kyneton GMH dealer closed down. I use them as my VQ Holden bible.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Checking any auto box oil

Oil must be at operating temperature.
Run through gears park, reverse, drive, 1,2 etc and back to park.
Do this twice to 3 times if you feel the need.
Then either with engine running, or, within 10 seconds of switching off engine,
remove dipstick and wipe.
Replace dipstick and remove immediately.
Check oil on dipstick.

Last edited: