Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

QLD P Plate Mod Restrictions?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
You would need a mod plate for the car to be legal, I'm pretty sure.

And I'm also pretty sure that would classify as a engine mod, so no.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
have to agree. had a 253 in my prem and couldnt drive that but could go buy newish commodore and would leave it for dead.
rules are crap.

on my l's after 5 hrs of driving. i drove a car with more horsepower then most people on this site would have ever driven.
and im building a 1000 hp car and im not even on my p's yet.

but i cant buy a v6 supercharged which under 200kw cause its supercharged.

OMG there is a reason for that mate. Please tell me you aren't going to drive a 1000hp car anyplace for a few years... or at least let me know which part of Brissy to avoid, I dont want to die with you..

When are P platers going to learn that being able to operate a clutch, brake pedal, and steering wheel is not sufficient to make you a good driver? Some are better than others of course, but there is no subsitute for experience, and dare I say it - a little maturity. Some people are mature at a young age, granted, but experience isnt something you are born with or can buy.

I know it sucks, but its part of life.

Yes the laws are silly. They should be based on power to weight ratio, not number of cylinders, kw, or induction method.

matt-chops

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
I'm not on my P's and while I don't agree with the specific laws for P platers in QLD I agree with what they're trying to do... IMPROVE ROAD SAFETY... but I certainly don't think this should be the only measure, and shouldn't only target P platers (I'm a car enthusiast too and I understand your passion).

I think (know) there's a lot of drivers out there who aren't confident enough, skilled enough, paying enough attention etc. to be in charge of any kind of motor vehicle. I drive 40,000km+/year in everything from peak hour to lazy Sundays and have seen the worst of them.

I'd be happier if it was much harder to get a license in the first place, even if this excluded some people from ever driving. It's not a right to have a license and if you're not capable you shouldn't be on the road.

Another option is more classes of license. No P plates altogether, rather an entry level license restricting drivers to a small low powered 4cyl. After 12 months you have the OPTION to complete more driver training and upgrade to a mid license (6cyl etc), then a large license (hi-po 6cyl, standard V8s, 4WDs), then various levels of high-power license, each requiring higher levels of driver ability. This wouldn't be a restriction on just current P platers, but all kinds of people. Incapable soccer mums in large 4WDs wouldn't have large 4WDs, ########s with too much money wouldn't buy M3s and Porsches without being able to drive them, it would put all drivers in cars they are capable of driving. Could then have license add-ons like a towing certification or an offroad cert (for beaches etc).

Like I said, the P plate rules a dumb, but there needs to be something in place.

In the mean time, OP, just get a VZ SV6 and enjoy it. It's what I own and its got enough poke to get off the line pretty quick. High flow air filter and an exhaust for a nice note and it's all you need for the next 3-5 years.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I've long advocated exactly such a system.
I'd base it on power-weight ratio rather than no's of cylinders or aspiration types.
Each level of license would require an additional level of training and a higher level of experience to attain. Trucks do it. So should Mr and Mrs Average and their 17y/o son.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
what you have said is pretty much how it should be matt.
but i have to agree with dakster by it being power to weight classes. which is alot more accurate.

but onto another bit of news.
reading the carsguide in the herald sun the other day and someone wrote about a first car.
they suggest sv6, and the editor guy just shut them down and said to get a corolla (not saying they are bad)
i mean. does he know each and everyones personal situations? eg they may when on greens have a boat to tow? or he may already be a race driver? =P
and tbh an sv6 doesnt have that much power =P

but next bit id like to say.
i personally do not see the reason to modify a v6 while your on your p's (lowering, exhaust etc) even though yes i have put 2 spacers in.
unless for better fuel economy.
just enjoy the car, fix it up if you want, and go from there.

but yeah as matt and dakster have said would be the logical thinking.
but as we know it just wont happen

Fattymatty95

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn Calais / Gemini.
With the turbos just say you got your self a holden cruise 1.4lt turbo that's still not aloud is it I mean my vn with 390xxxks with out trying could take that and yet it still not to be own by a p plater? Because if its turbo witch to me doesn't seem to make a big diff to that and the non turbo?

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
With the turbos just say you got your self a holden cruise 1.4lt turbo that's still not aloud is it I mean my vn with 390xxxks with out trying could take that and yet it still not to be own by a p plater? Because if its turbo witch to me doesn't seem to make a big diff to that and the non turbo?

Nice effort search a old thread but to bump it with that. Why?

Decicrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt

1.4lt Cruze's are approved, after applying for the right paperwork.