Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Quality of different brands of gauges.

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Yep, I have a constant 12 volt (don't know why it needs this?) and switched ignition via accessory.
The sender has an earth terminal, which is earthed to chassis and it has the sender wire, running through fire wall to gauge.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
run the earth through with the sender wire and join the sender earth and gauge earth together and earth to a bolt on the block

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Also, I've left the factory sender hooked up, hence the T piece. There is no abnormal oil lights illuminated on the dash.
Is it possible that air is trapped in the sender unit and oil hasn't been forced through the small hole yet? I took it for a quick drive to make sure the oil was well circulated.

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
run the earth through with the sender wire and join the sender earth and gauge earth together and earth to a bolt on the block

Ok, I'LL give this a try, thanks

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
gauges with 2 wire senders tend to get effected by ground loops in an automotive enviroment as as such should be wired like above so it works properly

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Do the two earths have to be to the block or will chassis work?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
chassis will work .i just say on the block cause it saves extra wires coming from the engine LOL i have all mine earthed to the block along with the sensors .i actually hate electric gauges allways used mechanical ones

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
AH k, well I just ran a quick earth out through the door to the same point on the chassis as the sender earth and it's still doing the same thing...

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
I just re-read the instructions and it says connect earth to "A good engine ground" Doing so now.................

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
i think i payed $9 each for my gauges from china with senders work a charm and match the values the ecu says with 1-2 degrees.even my $60 EGT gauge works fine.autometer have both cheap and top of the line gear and the differences between the 2 is huge even the quality of the shiftlights is a massive difference ones heavy the other is a cheap light alloy case with a light bulb that you couldnt even see in the dark LOL the rev counter needles move slower than a factory gauge LOL

Yeh, but Autometer have a cheap brand to compete with the other cheap/shitty brands of gauges on the market. If someone wants good quality gauges, they will naturally pay the extra money for the good gear...

Also, mechanical gauges FTW.