Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Quick intake question.

impulsive

Alloytec Racing
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Alloytec
if you want something thats custom and may work, try replacing the intake pipe to something like stainless, getting one made up myself. all that does is remove the ridges in the intake pipe and smoothes it out. if you really want to get creative, relocate the coolant overfill container, and cut a hole in the guard, and mount a pod down there. is away from engine bay heat, and combined with some cool stainless intake pipework made up, would look pretty sweet polished or black under the hood. you would probably notice more power with a setup similar than buying any cai, and may be cheaper.

Act like it's your ideA rich, i Asked him to make me one years ago... Haha. And you won't notice any gains, it's purely cosmetic, I'm sure tuned however may make a noticeable effect

impulsive

Alloytec Racing
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Alloytec
Yeah you're fairly well on the ball with the whole pod issue.
Maf's are a restriction in the intake, you can tune the PCM to use the MAP sensor and the IAT to calculate the fuel needed without the MAF.
So, that's why they get rid of it. Justs makes **** easier.

The technical way of saying it... Thanks soop, I've found a use for you Ha ha.. I just dint know the correct name of the sensors and correct abbreviations

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
Act like it's your ideA rich, i Asked him to make me one years ago... Haha. And you won't notice any gains, it's purely cosmetic, I'm sure tuned however may make a noticeable effect

never said it was my idea dave. just a suggestion. and u never told me about the pod in the guard, that was my own thinking.

the only reason i would suggest a pod is to remove the restriction of the box, the extra length of pipe would be to correct turbulence created by the pod, as mace has already stated in another thread. until mafless tunes come out, if they ever do, i dont think altering the air intake would make huge gains. example, b added a pod on his tuned sv6 and achieved a 14.3 1/4 mile time. whether the pod had anything to do with it being that low of a time or not, no one will ever know.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
.3 of a second faster then the factory claimed time could come down to different conditions lol.

Pods don't make cars faster, they help if you've little room to work with. But you can acheive the same thing with a bigger panel filter and custom airbox if you have the room.

impulsive

Alloytec Racing
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Alloytec
WOw rich, I didn't realise you were soo sensitive.. :/ it was a Joke man lol... As 4 b's car... He didn't Add a pod he was running a pod when he ran 14.3

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
yeah its not the most major restriction but it could always be better.

Best bet would be to make a sheet metal airbox with a Pajero style airfilter in it. They're like a foot square. Massive filters.
Lots of airflow and less turbulance because the air is disturbed less. IMO anyway.