Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Quickest V6 - again

B

BOV

Pretender said:
I have never given the Fords much thought until the BA was released. I think it looks better than any Commodore.
I think I would buy one over a Commodore. There are a lot of different reports going around about the Turbo, good and bad, but nobody can argue with the stats.
I think the bad reports are written by disgruntled Commodore fans as they tend to list a lot of petty excuses for why it's not as good as the Holden.
yeah same here, BA made Ford blossom!

I would sure love to own a new BF falcon xr6 T or typhoon with a new german 6 speed auto! That thing would fly!

U

UNR8D

a VN with over 200,000k's STOCK will NOT do 8 sec 0-100 times you are kidding, try 9.something and mid 16's over the qtr.

when new maybe but just remember what wheels and motor have said that their timing equipment now is about .2 diff quicker than the auctual qtr and thats technology NOW not in 1990 so i still think that they would have been a 8.8 at best when new and are mid to low 9's now depending on condition.

never had a VN beat my parents AU SR either my mates VP v6 with cat back gets owned by it as well and according to motor times they run an 8.8 stock 0-100 and a 16.2 qtr.

B

BOV

UNR8D said:
a VN with over 200,000k's STOCK will NOT do 8 sec 0-100 times you are kidding, try 9.something and mid 16's over the qtr.

when new maybe but just remember what wheels and motor have said that their timing equipment now is about .2 diff quicker than the auctual qtr and thats technology NOW not in 1990 so i still think that they would have been a 8.8 at best when new and are mid to low 9's now depending on condition.

never had a VN beat my parents AU SR either my mates VP v6 with cat back gets owned by it as well and according to motor times they run an 8.8 stock 0-100 and a 16.2 qtr.
well exactly, VN is an old car the engine is going downhil unles its been rebuilt and the tranny regularly serviced...

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
UNR8D said:

AU's can be pretty fast, some stock ones are supposed to be able to do 0-100 in the high 7's, but My mums AU Classic (80,000kms) doesn't seem that fast, She likes to drive my VN because it goes heaps faster than her AU<- so she says : ) I agree. But it's faster than my Dad's VY ute now that is a real SLUG. My VN is not "officially" stock but it does have a stock 270,000km engine and stock exhaust it's just that it's tuned to within and inch of it's life. I'd bet my VN for your AU that my VN can run 0-100 in less than 8 seconds :thumbsup: but I don't think it can do a quarter mile any faster than about 15.8. I never tested it really, but I did a low 16 up a fairly steep hill so it should be good for a 15. They don't have enough power for that kind of mission, they just have a low weight, low first gear and monster low down torque, Holdens traffic light special :p.

I've never really tested the AU before because it feels quite slow to drive and well I don't really like the touchy way Ford make the throttle and brake work, I either almost crash it every time I get in it or almost put myself out the front window when I go to slow down :p. So I don't drive it much. But power to weight suggests it could do better than 8 seconds, so maybe it's just an illusion that it's going slow, the road test guys might have had traction problems on the stock tires, I can't imagine being able to do a full power take off in a heavy and torquey AU without mega smoke on a stock tire. One thing about the AU is that it has excellent fuel ecconomy, 6. something liters per 100km cruising on the highway no worries

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pajero LWB Wagon, Power/economy what's that ???
Vn

VN - 243000Km. Why do so many think they not as quick as posted.
My motor has been on gas since 1989 and is in great condition.
It is not just one magazine that has shown 8.00 - 8.25 seconds for the SI.
How did they all get it so wrong. Independent tests also show these figures.
Just to test my VN, I had a race with my Brother-in-law"s AU up to 100Km/h.
It was closer than I thought but I stilled trounced him easily three times. His car has done just 63000K's. Maybe my car has been tweaked but it only runs times consistent with most reports and test drives reports of the VNs.
I have organised to get it tested properly so I will post the results.
8 second to 100Km/h is not quick these days anyway.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I'm not sure why there is so many non beleivers Pretender, I think some VN's must be dog slow these days and are giving a bad reputation, I've met some people that have very fast V6 VN's especaily the manual executives in good condition seem to cut down 0-100 in the mid to low sevens with good rubber on them. I saw a video of a friends friends worked manual running to 100 and there's no way I could time the run to last more than 7 seconds flat, also on the same video he showed a very impressive limited slip burnout melting two big tires for a long time, summernats style. My car isn't making that kind of power, it's just quick off the line.

If your car has been on gas since day one it's probably not even run in yet :p, lots of magazines tested VN's either just under or just over 8 seconds to 100, they were famous for being able to flog a VL 304 over the quarter mile back in the day. I'm old enough to remember when they were new, I guess most people saying they are slow just don't remember what rocketships they were back in 89 :), my mum test drove one when they first came out and decided she wouldn't buy it because it was way to scary for her to drive, she feared it!. She had a good condition Ice Green VH SLX 202 manual at the time : ), actually I think the VN she test drove might have been a manual, I was in the car too : ) it seemed like a race car back then when I was young :p. The VH probably couldn't make 100 in less than 11-12 seconds or something? so it would have felt really quick jumping straight in a VN.

Anyway from what I know a VN is faster to 100 than a VP, ends about the same over a quarter, I do beleive most VP's will catch most VN's over a long distance although all the cars are different so that's not a certain thing. The VR is supposed to be alot slower, but I've driven some VR's that feel alot more sporty than the road tests suggest.

I've also ran a stock VR manual memcal in my car and it can still run 8 flat with that chips very mild timing so you can't blame that for the VR's times. So I'm not sure what happened there, the 8.9 most quoted must have been a dud car. Unless the computer controlled auto is costing it time? I don't really know.

I also think the VS should do less than 9 seconds but it's not at the same level as the VN/VPs performance. Anything after that until the VZ is a 9 second flat car or worse unless it's a really good one or has been improved. Well that's the facts : )

I'm going to take my video camera with me one time and point it at the G-tech and speedo and run at least a mid 7 0-60 mph for total proof of the old VN's speed very soon : )

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pajero LWB Wagon, Power/economy what's that ???
Proof

Oh well Greenfoam, I think I'll have to get a video as well and a print out showing the elapsed times when I get it tested properly and include them in a post. Still, I guess, people will claim it's from another car or the equipment is flawed. It just appears no body believes in the VN. I am still to dig out my VN Development book and check the prerelease tests and the first roadtest reports.
My first wife's Uncle had an SI manual wagon and, with the extra weight included, could run 8 seconds all day.

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
I have never ran a 0-100 time but my VP has 292,000k's not one upgrade fully standard with the folling problems i havent fixed yet.
1. Bent and pancake exhuast front and back.
2. Cat is stuffed.
3. Fuel Regulator done.
4. Slight slipping of gears 2 and 3:((Just been servised)
And on the freeway onramp, I got behind a Hoon in a VQII Statesman 5lt sideways infont of me he cam so i hooned it behind him, I followed right up his ginger to 140kp/h.
So i'm thinking since i have this problem in something tranny tailshaft or diff if this wasnt around i would love to know my 0-100 time:)
Another one, My nephew had a VL Calais. Just had exhuast exstracters performence tune on engine and tranny cost him a mint, LSD fitted with 3.9 gears. His looking at about 145kw now. And with that Diff it's very fast off the mark.
So we had a drag down the street as we turned the corner he floored it and so did i myn dropped straight back to 1st and it was all over, BUT! since i couldnt pass him on the narrow road i had to lift off and sit behind him all the way down the road:(.
So to be fair we did it with 2 lanes, He wasnt happy when i passed him and waved goodbye. Now he is after a Turbo for it.
But one day i will get it all running 100% and take it to the drags stock and see what it can do. I don't want to boast but i have drove the VN's VR's VS's VT's etc and this by far has felt the fastest above 20kp/h to me.