Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Quickest V6 - again

gemini

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
I cant wait for our G tech t arive :D

U

UNR8D

instead of this g tech **** and ohh look at my video stuff, RUN YOUR CAR DOWN THE QTR and find out REAL figures instead of this one....two.....three.. **** ohh it does 7's and its a stock auto vn... PIGS ARSE!

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pajero LWB Wagon, Power/economy what's that ???
Been there, done that. Still not good enough for the Bullshit brigade. Go out and find one and test it yourself. Some look after their cars and though still stock are better than new. It's way too easy to show ignorance with your keyboard. No body claims they are supercars but they do have good performance that very few acknowledge even though all the info is out there.

Toa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VW J&S Supa Sport Dune Buggy
Pretender said:
Same old theme revisited ie: VN vs VP - V6
After a little research (Father's friend has worked for a Holden Dealership for 30 years as Manager) I was provided with the following Holden official claimed specs for the VN & VP sixes.

Holden Commodore VN SI
Year of Introduction: 1988
Engine: 3.8 litre EFI V6 ; 5.0 V8 EFI
Power: 125kW (V6) & 165kW (V8)
Transmission: 5 speed manual ; 4 speed Turbohydramatic ; 6 speed ZF manual (Group A)
Performance: 0 - 100 km/h 8.1 seconds (V6 Auto) 7.2 seconds (V8 Auto); Standing 400 metres 15.7 seconds (V6 Auto) 15.1 seconds (V8 Auto)
Production: 215,180
Price: $20,014

Holden Commodore VP SI
Year of Introduction: 1991
Power: 127kW (V6) & 165kW (V8)
Transmission: 5 speed manual & 4 speed Turbohydramatic 700
Performance: 0 - 100 km/h 8.0 seconds (V6 Auto) 7.2 seconds (V8 Auto); Standing 400 metres 15.5 seconds (V6 Auto) 15.1 seconds (V8 Auto)
Production: 92,860
That stuff is posted up all over the net and has been for a long time, on sites like this: http://www.southgate.com.au/history.htm
it is a good guide but does have some discrepancies.

I'm not sure how true it's origins are as actual road tests done by car mags in the day did differ from these results, eg. wheels VN V6 S1 manual 7.89sec 0-100km/h.

Greenfoam, good to see you finally got some video footage of it, I'll download it for a peek later.

UNR8D, Gtechs can be (if setup and used properly) fairly accurate on a standardish sort of car, more accurate than a speedo and stopwatch, only because speedos from that vintage of car can be out by up to 10%, but most of them are still within 3-4%. Not everything in performance is how fast you can drive down willowbank, has the drag strip ever given you your 0-100km/h times?

Toa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pretender said:
Hi Toa

Same old theme revisited ie: VN vs VP - V6
After a little research (Father's friend has worked for a Holden Dealership for 30 years as Manager) I was provided with the following Holden official claimed specs for the VN & VP sixes.

Holden Commodore VN SI
Year of Introduction: 1988
Power: 125kW (V6) & 165kW (V8)
Transmission: 5 speed manual ; 4 speed Turbohydramatic ; 6 speed ZF manual (Group A)
Performance: 0 - 100 km/h 8.1 seconds (V6 Auto) 7.2 seconds (V8 Auto); Standing 400 metres 15.7 seconds (V6 Auto) 15.1 seconds (V8 Auto)
Production: 215,180
Price: $20,014

This time was for the Auto. I have seen some tests on the manual as low as 7.6 seconds. Great to get a reply from some one who has actually looked at the info available.
You don't even notice that this is one of the discrepancies I was pointing out?

Don't you think that if this was the "official" holden tested specs that they would have a record of the manual trannys times?

Why would the "official" holden specs mention a ZF group A 6 speed with no other reference to the car at all?

Why does it show the VP V6 as being faster when all of the car mags of the era proved them to be slower? we all know of the intake restrictions holden put in place from the VN SII to try and tone the initial accelleration down.

Why is it that this information that was solely given to yourself be exactly the same, down to the exact punctuation and spacing, as the info that has been posted up on other sites for years?

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pajero LWB Wagon, Power/economy what's that ???
Hi Toa
Toa said:
You don't even notice that this is one of the discrepancies I was pointing out?

Obviously as this is why I replied informing you of times I have seen recorded in mags for the manual.

Don't you think that if this was the "official" holden tested specs that they would have a record of the manual trannys times?

I was just looking at the Autos. The info shown is from a website that my father's friend and I looked up and he said it was Holden's claimed figures for the VP, but everybody knew it was incorrect which is my point. I will go to www.holden.com to see if I can find the claim for the manual.

Why would the "official" holden specs mention a ZF group A 6 speed with no other reference to the car at all?

Listed all boxes for the model at the site I got it from.

Why does it show the VP V6 as being faster when all of the car mags of the era proved them to be slower? we all know of the intake restrictions holden put in place from the VN SII to try and tone the initial accelleration down.

This is Holden's claimed figures for the VP put out as a marketing ploy so as not to show the the "new" model had less performance.
I know the VN SI is much quicker this is my whole point for the post. Strangely no mags questioned the discrepancy in the test figures.

Why is it that this information that was solely given to yourself be exactly the same, down to the exact punctuation and spacing, as the info that has been posted up on other sites for years?

The information given solely to me was not the specs but was what I posted after the specs from discussing it with my fathers friend. These specs came from a site, cannot remember which one, I found when looking up info . Yes I to have seen these details many times. Holden's claimed time was 8.00 sconds. I have only seen one test where an Auto VP V6 has got lower than 9 seconds.

Sorry for bothering you Toa, I was just trying to help address some of the issues in the forum regarding VN SI's with my original post. There are so many who see the figure for the VP and say it is true and bag the VN.
I have copped such flack for daring to say the VN was quicker.

Toa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nah you didn't bother me, I just thought you were trying to give me flack, I too agree that just because a car is newer and has a higher peak horsepower rating doesn't mean that it is quicker than it's predecessor.

A VN S1 V6 that has been worn in correctly and kept in tiptop nick will beat just about all standard N/A commy V6's up untill just recently with the SV6.

It is like the EA MPFI inline 6 manual falcon of the day, capable of pulling a 7.6 sec 0-100km/h, but these standard pretty much pov pack cars have been forgotten, which is great if you want to buy a cheap sleeper.

Hot-Rod

SuPaFlY -LiV3 Surviv3 Di3
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VX Commodore Series 2
greenfoam said:
If I had 40 grand to spare I wouldn't touch a VZ V6 with a 50 foot pole, I'd be down talking to the ever popular Ford salesman : ) asking for a deal on a Turbo XR6. It's going to go down in history as the craziest machine Ford ever made. Just wait 5 years or so till they get cheaper secondhand and the majority of them will be running 12 seconds or better on the 1/4 mile, it will be a revelation, a second comming of the insanely fast Australian muscle car : ). I've allways loved Holdens but you've got to give it to Ford on the BA, looks great, goes great, they won that round :thumbsup:

If only it weighed 1300kgs :) now that would be something

My Brother own XR6T - has had problems with it already , shitty ford, Eggy smell in cabin when pushin it, interior light not working, front brake clip rattles, hand brake is making a shh shh shh noise in down position. No good ford. Buy a holden (Don't buy toyota, nissan or mitsubishi's.)

trepaul

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina 308
i'm sure there have been many holdens sold with similar errors; build quality (i.e. friday cars) happen to many brands, not just ford. if you want reliability, you can't go past toyota. granted, japanese cars have no soul but it takes a lot to kill a corolla

vn2nv

Reaction score
dudes my VN berlina beat a ford telstar with a fairly loud turbo. Now a car like that assumingly has a much better power to ratio than my care. My berlina has beaten many many VT's, VS's and also an old skoo subaru liberty with a turbo. Either these people are crap drag racers or the VN is a quick car off the mark.