Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Racing a ute. Pros / Cons

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
Looks pretty tidy mate, aftermarket steering wheel should be firmer than the stock item which is a plus. I'd hunt for a set of VX SS or VT SS wheels and dial them up with some Federal 595 RSR's.. Tyres around $800 fitted and wheels for anywhere between $200 to $500, but try to get a cheap set without tyres so you can put some decent rubber on there. Then as has been suggested, brake upgrade, if you can'f afford to go the whole lot at once, get some better quality pads/fluid, then once that set of pads is gone do the calipers and pads together. Fluid makes a bigger difference than people think.

Leathal11

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 6spd Ute / VS 5spd L67 Ute III
i got a track day coming up at the end of march wich ill be going out in my ute so i will have to let you know how i go haha (but im also running an L67 rather than ECOtec)
we will be doing 15min blocks out on the track so hopefully she lasts then can have a rest haha.

but im only running lowered suspension set of 17" wheels with some road tyres, still running standard brakes at the moment but will see how i go. and also upgrading my front swaybar as well.

i read about upgrading the steering resivor and adding a cooler! is this just any cooler like a trans cooler?

and if the ute seems to go ok i might upgrade a bit of stuff for the next time :)

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
Yep, more or less any cooler like an auto transmission cooler.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
if you are going to get serious, then a ute is going to be taily. Although having said that they certainly get those utes handling in the 'brute ute' series
But for just a bit of fun on a track day, I don't think a ute is going to be any real disadvantage compared to an equivalent sedan

as the others have said, upgrade the brakes. I fit up a set of front VN Grp A twin piston calipers with 330mm rotors (yes they JUST manage to fit under my 16's with the wheel weights relocated)

get some good brake fluid too and change it regularly, standard stuff just boils

I've QFM A1RM brake pads (front & rear) and TRW GP600 brake fluid in my VH. Speak to Greg from GSL
I've had absolutely no brake fade, even at Qld Raceway - which is hard on brakes.

Decicrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67
i got a track day coming up at the end of march wich ill be going out in my ute so i will have to let you know how i go haha (but im also running an L67 rather than ECOtec)
we will be doing 15min blocks out on the track so hopefully she lasts then can have a rest haha.

but im only running lowered suspension set of 17" wheels with some road tyres, still running standard brakes at the moment but will see how i go. and also upgrading my front swaybar as well.

i read about upgrading the steering resivor and adding a cooler! is this just any cooler like a trans cooler?

and if the ute seems to go ok i might upgrade a bit of stuff for the next time :)

Being an L67, word of advise,,, TAKE SOME EXTRA FUEL:D

Froggz

Less talk, More Torque.
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 S15 Silvia
at this stage im just fixing up minor problems just giving me the shits. e.g. just fixed cigarette lighter upgraded my dash to a level 2.
to do - get central locking to actually open both doors.

ve brake upgrade
upgraded power steering reservoir
decide on a colour to paint it

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
at this stage im just fixing up minor problems just giving me the shits. e.g. just fixed cigarette lighter upgraded my dash to a level 2.
to do - get central locking to actually open both doors.

ve brake upgrade
upgraded power steering reservoir
decide on a colour to paint it

dont go a black colour =P
every single scratch/imperfection shows up.
unless of course you either dont care about that or love to keep it clean =P

but most importantly enjoy it.
which im sure you will.

Froggz

Less talk, More Torque.
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 S15 Silvia
yeah I am enjoying it. i was thinking a brighter colour possibly a green or a blue.
Maybe Gun Metal Grey / Alto Grey :D

oh and the reverse switch on my gear box doesn't work

Last edited: