Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Radio interference NOT a ground loop

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin VX II Berlinas - "Vanessa" and "Geraldine"
I've just developed a radio frequency interference problem.
Before everyone chimes in with "ground loop" it's not an alternator whine or anything like that.
This is directly related to charging my phone through the cigarette lighter plug. When my phone is plugged in the radio experiences interference just like you get driving through a tunnel or between hills/mountains etc - the reception gets sketchy and at worst just drops off when my phone is in certain positions. It is worse when my phone moves around but if it is sitting in the tray beneath the lighter or even just in my lap, it's fine. To be clear, it is not caused by a loose plug/cable/etc when I move my phone, they can be held completely still and this still happens. All I have to do is lift my phone from my lap to sill height and it immediately gets fuzzy then drops out all together
I have established that it is not the charger plug or cable.
It started yesterday and no, I have not done anything to the aerial, radio or cigarette lighter immediately prior to this problem.
I have looked at ground loop noise isolators but this is clearly not the same problem. There is no whining or sounds typical to that problem. It does not get worse when I accelerate.
Anyone have experience with this or able to provide an educated guess as to what is going on here and more importantly, what I can do to fix it?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah doesn't sound like ground loop to me. Ground loops in my experience tend to be more common when you install an amp. Quite often because of issues with RCA jacks either in the head unit or amp.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Are you sure its not an internal problem in the charger?

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
I'm going with the charger itself is doing it. I've been thru a couple of cheaper ones and they did the same, bought a branded/dearer one, problem solved