Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

random ABS failure.

Nofan

red cars go faster.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Executive S2
Hey all, i recently purchased an s2 exec and loving it. Everything is perfect, and the manual is great even after alot of km's.

But it's happened twice now. Randomly it pops up saying ABS Failure? And won't go away. So i turned off the car both times. Started her again and drove off and it dissapeared? I'm about 4,000 away from a service but i don't know has anyone else experienced this?

colgf

Reaction score
Members Ride
s/charged v6 HR Holden, s/charged v6 EH Holden,
This message often appears if the instrument cluster has been unplugged (to upgrade to a HSV one as often is case. The message logs , but the ABS warning message resets when the car first rolls its wheels. Have you done anything re instrument cluster lately???

Nofan

red cars go faster.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Executive S2
Thanks for the reply. But no i haven't even touched it and i doubt it's been touched as the interior is all completley stock.

!!phat_calais!!

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy calais l67
when mine did it. it turned out to be the resinator in the altinator was worn down and chiped.

colgf

Reaction score
Members Ride
s/charged v6 HR Holden, s/charged v6 EH Holden,
Hmmm - OK . try checking your wiring connectors at each wheel , something may have hit one & loosened it , or water may have entered the connector, try the main connector to the ABS unit , check it for security & no moisture in the connector, you sound like your out in the bush so maybe the wheel units are the area where a wire connector may be loose from being hit by a rock or similar.??? The rear sensors hung off each side of the diff housing so check that they havent been hit & become bent on their mount brackets..

Nofan

red cars go faster.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Executive S2
Thanks for your responses. I've been driving twice since and it hasn't happened again. If it does happen one or two more times i might do what you suggest colgf. I hope its not the alternator phat calais. I guess if it is it will hold out till the service.

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
mine came up with an ABS fault today - turned out to be the battery was flat - as I discovered shortly afterwards when I tried to start the car. Charging the battery for a while fixed it.

This lines up nicely with phat calais's experience also. Please bear in mind that if the regulator in your alternator is faulty, it can be replaced seperately - you don't need to pay for a whole new alternator. I have not done this myself, however, so I couldnt tell you any more.

KB3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Wagon Dual Fuel HBD
I have had a similar recurring fault warning since purchasing my VY. Asked for it to be seen to at the first service at the dealer and while they claimed it was an old fault recorded and cleared it continued to occur. My regular mech and rego guru waved the Tech Tool over the car and we found the left rear sensor is open circuiting intermittently. I'll replace it when next funds are available. So if you can find a helpful mech with the Tech Tool that would be a good starting point.

Hope this is of some help.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Just out of curiosity, you weren't doing burnouts or doughnuts in gravel?

Even if you disable traction control there have been cases where the unit still returns an ABS fault and wont dissapear until a certain time has passed (even if you switch off the vehicle).

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
I used to get random ABS warnings when starting the car till I replaced the battery.