Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

rb20det or sr20det into vs commodore

T

TOBSTA

seen a couple of vs ute with front mount intercoolers, just considering all the cash and time invested into this conversion, is it worth it? whos done it? how does it travel?

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
I beat a VL with an RB20DET pretty comfortably from rolling start to 120km/h and it was running 10psi... unsure if that is stock or not. That was when my car just had 2.5" zorst, CAI and stage 2 crow cam.

But with a rolling start especially thats a piss poor effort imo. For the cost of the conversion... Plus a VS weighs more so it would be even worse.

If ya gonna do a conversion like that, do a decent one. RB30DET, or do an RB26!!!

If ya got the money a 1JZ or 2JZ... It will cost a little more for the engine, but it will make the conversion WORTH it!

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
please i beg u dont put a sr20 in a commodore it was bad enough they put one in a mustang in tokyo drift
it looks like a mustang
smells like a mustang
sounds like a NISSAN:D
see my point?

Spaced

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore Exec
I definately wouldn't do an SR20 conversion to a commodore if they are the 4cyl engines I'm thinking of. If you really want to do a rice conversion and money is no object track down a R32 godzilla engine. These things can push 1000hp in stock format.

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
from what ive heard from calais turbo this is a waste of time conversion they just cant push such a heavy car sure they might rev to 8000rbp but thats useless if its all noise if you really want to do a turbo conversion why not the 3.8ltr? there is no substitute for cubes and a 2ltr just aint gunna cut it...

gozilla engine? hell yeh that would be some fun

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
tdoyle88 said:
SR20 iws a 4cyl, (rofl 2lt 4cyl in a commo)

but its turbo bro so its like fully sic bro and the pfhssst sound when you back off bro... omg, hang on brb bro i got a stiffy

Spaced

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore Exec
87rb30devil said:
but its turbo bro so its like fully sic bro and the pfhssst sound when you back off bro... omg, hang on brb bro i got a stiffy

:rofl: Haha I have a new signature

customcaraudio

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais with alloytec 190
I dont wanna start a **** fight here, but i would just like to add that the sr20 comes out of a nissan 200sx which is around the same weight as the vn to vs commo.

just my 2 cents

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
customcaraudio said:
I dont wanna start a **** fight here, but i would just like to add that the sr20 comes out of a nissan 200sx which is around the same weight as the vn to vs commo.

just my 2 cents

They weigh 101kg less than a VS... And the engine is far from spectacular in stock form.

Is it worth spending enormous amounts on a conversion to lose 2 cylinders and 39NM of torque? Plus the VS hits peak torque and power at better rev ranges:

Nissan 200SX S15 with the SR20DET:
Maximum Torque 265Nm @ 4800rpm
Maximum Power 147kW @ 6400rpm

VS Commodore 3.8L V6:
Maximum Torque 304Nm @ 3600rpm
Maximum Power 147kW @ 5200rpm